586,693 active members*
2,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Drift on 6090 with Weihong NK105 and Leadshine M552

Drift on 6090 with Weihong NK105 and Leadshine M552

I just solved a problem that has been plaguing me for nearly 2 years so I thought I would share!

My 6090 router from Jinan iTech has been slowly losing position in all axes, especially on complex jobs. This is most obvious in circles and arcs being non-concentric, and the Z height slowly dropping when doing engraving work.

The solution was to set a jumper in each of the M542 stepper drivers to change the pulse logic to negative. The jumper is marked 'J1' and is in a little bank of 6 header pins, visible only by unplugging the driver then removing the plastic cover.

Now it is fixed, I am pretty impressed by the accuracy and versatility of the machine - from ripping up slabs of plywood to engraving tiny details on PCBs.

Background -

The machine runs on a Weihong NK105G3 DSP, with 3 x Leadshine M542 stepper drivers. I use mainly ArtCam and also Eagle plus PCB-Gcode.

I first noticed this effect particularly when using 'area clear' toolpaths on holes.

I managed to contain the problem by switching to a finer micro-stepping resolution and avoiding area clear toolpaths, good enough for most work.

But - I have been running some fine PCB work recently and accumulated errors of near 1mm were terminal!

The error was repeatable - each time I ran the same job I would get the same result - but otherwise confounding as there was no obvious skipping, backlash or other failures I could see.

Returning the machine to relative zero, would end up in a different position to where it started, even though the readout showed 0.000, 0.000.

The technical bit -

The DSP controls the stepper drivers through 2 pairs of control wires sending 'step' and 'direction'.

There are a few different schemes but one variation is 'pulse logic' which can be positive, meaning that each step occurs as the voltage rises from 0 to 5V; or negative, meaning each step occurs as the voltage falls from 5V to 0.

If you look in the NK105 manual on page 83 there is a diagram showing this - the section relates to a servo driver but this is a clue as to what the NK105 is outputting (note the manual says to choose # 2, single pulse stream negative logic).

The M542s on the other hand are set to positive logic by default, at least mine came that way. Page 3 of the M542 manual sets this out.

The repercussion of this is that every time there is a direction change, one micro-step gets counted in the wrong direction. On a complex job, this adds up to a visible error.

Those area clears involved lots of little concentric circles and therefore lots of direction changes!

Re: Drift on 6090 with Weihong NK105 and Leadshine M552

Hi,

We are looking at getting a CNC with a Weihong NK105G3 DSP controller. Do you have a post processor for it that might work with Inventor HSM? do you know if there is one available?

MarryU Guest

Hi,
    Generally NK105 G2 or G3 are DSP offline terminal used to control each axis,not the software for making G code,so it has no post processor acturally. You need to look for post processor of HSM.

Mary

Thanks Mary, but Inventor / HSM needs a post-processor to work with NK105 G2 or G3 right? Do you work with Weihong?

MarryU Guest

You welcome Lael, yes I confirm with their technicion,they dont have.

Hi
    I have exactly the same problem with Weihong NK105 and Leadshine MA860H
    Can you please tell me how exactly should I change "J1" jumper pulse logic?
    Thank you in advance

I am having problems on the Y axis drifting(see attached). Can you show how you cured the problem?

Mine is Weihong NK105G2. I having a problem with the spindle gears. When turning on the spindle the the inverter reads the following when cycling through the gears:-

Gear Inverter
    0 0
    1 150
    2 320
    3 470
    4 0
    5 150
    6 320
    7 470Attachment 361974

falacncrouter Guest

There is a little different between Weihong NK105 G2 and Weihong NK105 G3. I think you would better to ask CNC Router manufacturer from which you bought it.

Hi Archil

Well it has been a year or so but I just found your message. Did you ever solve this problem?

Looking at the ma860h manual it looks like you need to add a jumper to J3 in your case to achieve the same setting change (active at falling edge)

See page 4 http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/MA860Hm.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Archil View Post
    Hi
    I have exactly the same problem with Weihong NK105 and Leadshine MA860H
    Can you please tell me how exactly should I change "J1" jumper pulse logic?
    Thank you in advance

Hi bigz

Well better a year later than never did you ever solve your problems? The drift you show here is a lot more severe than what I was experiencing so it might be a different issue,

The spindle gear problem however - I also had but fixed. The cause is that the 3 wires from the NK105 to the vfd for speed control were connected incorrectly. These are marked S_0, S_1 and S_2 and need to connect to corresponding lines on the VFD (markings will depend on your model of VFD).

I hope this gives you a clue!

Quote Originally Posted by bigz1 View Post
    I am having problems on the Y axis drifting(see attached). Can you show how you cured the problem?

Mine is Weihong NK105G2. I having a problem with the spindle gears. When turning on the spindle the the inverter reads the following when cycling through the gears:-

Gear Inverter
    0 0
    1 150
    2 320
    3 470
    4 0
    5 150
    6 320
    7 470Attachment 361974

Hi Loska

Thanks I fixed the drift with your method. I will have a look at the inverter thanks.

Have you had any luck wih 4th axis?

Happy New Years