My first post on this forum - did some searching but didn't find the suggestions I was looking for so here is my (hopefully not redundant) question:

Applications - small parts - up to 3" X 6" X 1" in brass and aluminum (occasionally mild steel) for working model racing cars - tolerances are not tight, +/- .001" generally works - mostly linear cuts with 1/32" - 1/8" end mills

Current tools: Unimat PC lathe with Unimat CNC fitted, Grizzly Sieg X2 with inch screw conversion and DRO (helps with layout and compensates for aging eyes)

Motivation: - Went to the "Cabin Fever Expo" last week and was intrigued by the CNC mills on display - like the idea of doing two things at once!

Will probably buy motor mounts and might invest in upgraded screws - will buy or build drivers and am currently leaning toward Mach 3 software

So - after all that, here is the question: I've looked at 3 mills as the basis for the system and see +'s and -'s for all - looking for comment or suggestions:

Sieg X1: (+) - sturdy, cheap, motor mounts available, solid column mounting - probably the most stable (-) - getting high speeds appropriate to the cutter size is an issue, heavy head with offset screw presents problems

Taig mill: (+) variety of conversion hardware available - large screws, high spindle speed off the shelf (-) single bolt column fastening, spindle limitations - either a threaded spindle (questionable for high speed) or the ER16 spindle useful for collets only

Sherline mill: (+) variety of conversion hardware available, many sources, (-) limited spindle speed off-the-shelf, single bolt column fastening, (relatively) expensive.

[I]At the moment[I], I'm leaning towrds the Taig but am very much in the learning mode.

comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

EM