586,354 active members*
3,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > New lathe purchase ... opinions?

New lathe purchase ... opinions?

We are currently in the process of evaluating new lathes to purchase. So far, we are leaning towards a Haas Tl-25 with the Haas barfeed. Anyone have one of these machines? How about the barfeed? Anyone using these for unattended, lights out machining? I hear generally good things about Haas lathes. We bought a EC-400 horizontal mill 4 months ago and it has been a great machine.

I am currently running a tl-15 haas lathe with servo bar 300. It's the smaller version of the tl-25. It runs lights out every night. We just set the tool overload protection and let it go. Great machine with little trouble.

I know of a few people that have them and they say the new ones are pretty good but the older ones have issuse not sure what they are, i have a Haas mini mill and im getting a vf2 just case of the price and application that it will be used for i'm not a big fan of Haas but there quality has improved greatly from when i fan one and it comes down to price and servic and the company here that sales and service do a good job but i still want a Daewoo mill i have 4 lathes and when it comes to lathes they are top noch
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I have a Haas SL10 with a Servo 300 bar feed. I also have a Daewoo Lynx 220a, with a bar puller. The machines both work about 16 hours a day. At the moment they are both running the same parts. (I have a 15000 part order) The Daewoo is running them almost 28% faster. I do not know the model of the machine you are interested in but please correct me if I am wrong in thinking that this is Haas's live tooled sub spindle machine? I have a customer that has two of them and has trouble getting service here in the Puget Sound area. Fast accurate machine though. I run mine (SL10) on aluminum and my Daewoo runs alum and lots of stainless. I would want to talk to owners of the machine that were at lease 3 years old to see what changes inaccuracy have occured since new.

Quote Originally Posted by 1cnchogger View Post
    I am currently running a tl-15 haas lathe... We just set the tool overload protection and let it go. Great machine with little trouble.
    Are you using tool overload protection with G96 constant surface speed? We tried this but the spindle acceleration when facing to center tripped the tool overload. Is there a way around this.

Regarding the question starting the thread I posted an account of our experience with a Haas SL10 in another thread - see One Million Tool Changes on SL10.

I had the same problem on a sl-20, turn the load limit off, run a few parts,then set the limit a bit higher, seems to work o.k.

Use a G97 for facing. It will stay at a constant load limit. Then switch back to G96 when you turn od.

Thanks for the comments, I will do more playing around some time.

I've heard some horror stories about crashing Hass lathes. A new guy in my shop has crashed the hell out of our new Kia skt 15 and it has never even done more than dent the sheetmetal and break consumables. Machine holds .0001 all day after it's warmed up.

If your looking at lathes in the same price range check out daewoo and Kia.

I have a TL-15 with the barfeed. It is a great machine.

The barfeed is a little slow, but works well. I don't use the sub-spindle much, mostly because my run of parts is usually small.

I have run two differant servo bar 300's and they totally suck. To me they are a total shame to the Haas line. Here are my beefs:

1) Will not hold tolerance for crap. I have herd 1000s of excuses about how the draw tube is pulling the stock away from the pusher or how the liner might not be perfectly aligned. Well I spent days on the thing and no mortal man could make it any better.

2) Its noisy as all hell. Bar flaps all over inside of it most of the time.

3) The ball screw flexes and flaps at 100% rapid since its so long.

4) O rings on the draw tube sleeve liner get shreaded constantly and need replacemnt all the time or the sleeve rattles inside the spindle.

Now I will be the first to admit, I have never run a machine with a LNS or Hydrobar. I have seen them running, but never actually was responsible for them. Perhaps they all have thier own pitfalls, but I would rather use a bar puller then the servo bar 300. Just do a search by my user name, all my posts have been pro Haas. I like them and they have treated me well, but the bar feeder has just never ever worked right for me.

Phil