586,094 active members*
4,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Auto tool change versus manual release.

Auto tool change versus manual release.

When I do a tool change the full spindle is not releasing the tool and wants to pull the tool up out of the carousel and not release. The same thing when it tries to pick up a tool with an empty spindle it will not grab the tool, just push it down. I can however use the manual release button to insert a tool or release one without a problem. Do I have a defective pneumatic servo valve? This is on a VM24 from 1999. S/N 5494.

Re: Auto tool change versus manual release.

If your software version is new enough, there will be a POWER parameter called Draw Bar Delay. This will inhibit the rapid Z axis move for the length of the delay time to give the pneumatics enough time to fully compress the cylinder.

If not, you can copy the tool change macro to the RAM folder where you can edit it. (Remember to change the POWER parameter to point to the new location for the TC macro.)
    Then you can edit it to add a G4 F## statement like this:

(****************************)

N200 (*** UNLOAD ***)
    GOSUB 500
    M23 (ARM IN)
    M25 (DRAWBAR ON)
    G4 F2 (DELAY FOR 2 SECONDS)
    G53Z[.1/P267] (HEAD UP)
    RETURN

(****************************)

Thanks Z. Turns out it was a pneumatic valve. One valve began leaking pretty bad just after I started this thread. I replaced it and so far it is working like it used to. I had two spare valves that I purchased years ago for my 1995 Partner I because that machine used to go through them regularly. I had to take off the side panel of the head to access it but they're pretty easy to change.

Hi Moldcore, The old Telimaquice (spelling) and Parker plastic valves are noted for binding and cracking causing air leaks and poor performance. That is why I have my replacement valve kits. ( metal valves wont crack) binding of a valve depends on the lubricator side of the "FRL" assembly. ( A little bit of lubrication goes a long way, too much will cause problems with locking up air cylinders etc) ( AKA, hydrostatic lock)

That being said, the reason for the binding and cracking is because of the oil from the compressor is getting into the air stream, converting to another "hydrocarbon" and attacking the plastic,causing "crazing" of the plastics. This is actually a compressor and filtering problem. It also causes the filter / regulator bowls to crack and leak.

But not everybody can afford a $20K air supply. ;-(

PM me with direct questions.

Sportybob