586,419 active members*
3,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > Best machine to do this type of work Laser or CNC?

Best machine to do this type of work Laser or CNC?

I want to start carving/engraving pistol grips, rifle stocks, and guns. I am wondering if a CNC Engraving machine or a laser could produce the results as the pictures below. I have $6000 for a machine.

Re: Best machine to do this type of work Laser or CNC?

Laser machine just can 2D engraving, Cnc router can do 3 D carving.

Spindle+rotary cnc machine can meet your work demand.
    newel*post
    *404 Not Found

A laser would work quite well and be fast, things like gun stock would require a 4th axis it would cost a lot to get a good laser to do it, a router would be the same unless you when't the cheap way

omnisales6 what a load of crap you can get 5 axis laser's
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is there any machine within my price range that would do it?

Unless you are already a very good 3D modeler, be prepared to spend hundreds if not thousands of hours of practice to get results like the pics.

And that pair of metal grips would need many, many hours of hand finishing to get them to look like that. I'm not sure how those were made, but it doesn't look like CNC or laser to me.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Those grips are pewter material.

Would a CNC Duplicator do this duplicate these items?

Quote Originally Posted by magoodoo View Post
    Yeah I thought that - they look cast to me? You could use a CNC to create the negative perhaps but I wouldn't know how in detail.

As for the rifle handle, I've seen similar both hand-carved and CNC-carved, but not specifically on a shape already 3 dimensional which will add complexity I imagine (unless you created the handle from scratch and use a rotary axis on a 3-axis CNC like omnisales6 mentioned). You might look at the "Vectric Aspire" program.

A laser anywhere near your price range isn't a viable option for carving or engraving metal of any kind. A lower power laser may be ok for "marking" anodized aluminum or stainless if you use a moly coating product but definitely won't carve shapes or reliefs except in softer woods. A small cnc mill, preferably with a high speed spindle and a 4th axis would accomplish all these tasks reasonably well. Micro end mills or v-bits would be best for the fine/finishing work.

In your price range the options are limited but there are a few options. If you want to buy a new manual mini mill and convert it to CNC you can save some money and learn a lot in the process. As far as new, a basic Tormach (440) will run about 7k with basic tooling. A cnc micro mill would be fine for the grips but the stocks or other large parts would be impossible to carve on a micro mill although engraving would be possible with more effort aligning and setup if you worked on smaller sections at a time. My advise (if buying a manual mill and converting it isn't an option you want to pursue) would be to find a used cnc mill in your price range.You may even find a small used bridgeport or clone in your price range with some tooling or a 4th axis if you have the space for it. The larger the mill, the more you can do with it. A larger mill also allows for other projects etc should your needs change or grow. Just make sure it's in fair condition and the screws etc aren't so worn that accurate carving isn't possible without dumping lots of money into it to get it usable for your needs. Good luck!

I'd check out joescnc.com. He is working on a Titan series in your price range and I know of at least one person that is using his machine to make gun stocks for a living.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magoodoo View Post
    Then they are almost certainly cast. No chance of getting machined grips to look anywhere near as good as those. They will have machining marks over the entire surface, which you would need to sand or file out.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dear friend,
    According to your requests and the images, you have to choose the cnc router. Because the laser machine ca't make the 3D engraving patterns. Besides, what are your materials? The cnc router just can work on the soft metal. Besides, shall we talk on Skype? It will be more convenient, my Skype is signcnc02.