586,061 active members*
4,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 220V single phase VFD 3 phase output for powering a 200V 3phase AC Servo drive/motor
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 220V single phase VFD 3 phase output for powering a 200V 3phase AC Servo drive/mo

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    from what i can tell, it is the motors that are specified as 200 volts, not the drive, which makes sense because you need additional headroom, i think the drives are intended to run off of 240vac, but i can't find it in the literature.

anyhow, these are modern drives, they will run off of single phase. the only question that remains is can they handle full output while doing so.

additionally, the drive has to compensate for higher ripple voltage, the manufacturer may not want to deal with the headaches associated with guaranteeing their drives can meet the advertized specifications while running on single phase.
    All the Yaskawa servo drives are 100v series 200v series 400v series +/- 10% with matching Servo Motors of the same Voltage, why are you posting incorrect made up information

The Servo Drives he has is 3Ph and list a Phase sensor for each Phase so can not be run on single phase unless you know what to do to get around the Phase sensor

It also list that this Servo Drive 3R8A can not run on Single Phase
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    All the Yaskawa servo drives are 100v series 200v series 400v series +/- 10% with matching Servo Motors of the same Voltage, why are you posting incorrect made up information

The Servo Drives he has is 3Ph and list a Phase sensor for each Phase so can not be run on single phase unless you know what to do to get around the Phase sensor

It also list that this Servo Drive 3R8A can not run on Single Phase
    So answer the question... why can't it run on single phase. edit: (providing of course he can fool the phase sensor, which your motor starter will not do, and if it can, then the servo drive phase loss detector isn't a phase loss detector, but a bull**** loss detector.)

Also, with one exception I think, there is no 200v 3 phase power grid anywhere. So Op will need a rotary phase converter and two or three 32v transformers to drop his 240v grid to 208vac 3 phase.

Additionally, while it appears the servo drive has the capability of feeding forward the 120/100hz ripple that will appear on the dc bus into the pwm algorithm, it wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturer simply doesn't want to guarantee that it can meet performance specifications one single phase, three phase of course has something like a tenth of the dc ripple to deal with.

If the servo drive was really intended for a 200v power grid 240v may be too high. If it isnt, then it will run off 240v single phase for certain. But there is a slim possibility there is a 3 phase PFC front end that will not work with single phase, and if that is the case, your 50$ motor starter will not work either, and you know they don't generate three phase.

Re: 220V single phase VFD 3 phase output for powering a 200V 3phase AC Servo drive/mo

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    So answer the question... why can't it run on single phase. edit: (providing of course he can fool the phase sensor, which your motor starter will not do, and if it can, then the servo drive phase loss detector isn't a phase loss detector, but a bull**** loss detector.)

Also, with one exception I think, there is no 200v 3 phase power grid anywhere. So Op will need a rotary phase converter and two or three 32v transformers to drop his 240v grid to 208vac 3 phase.

Additionally, while it appears the servo drive has the capability of feeding forward the 120/100hz ripple that will appear on the dc bus into the pwm algorithm, it wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturer simply doesn't want to guarantee that it can meet performance specifications one single phase, three phase of course has something like a tenth of the dc ripple to deal with.

If the servo drive was really intended for a 200v power grid 240v may be too high. If it isnt, then it will run off 240v single phase for certain. But there is a slim possibility there is a 3 phase PFC front end that will not work with single phase, and if that is the case, your 50$ motor starter will not work either, and you know they don't generate three phase.
    I think that is already clear,what I posted, what will stop it from running, but I have a way around that

His 220v Power supply is in the range to safely connect it direct to the Servo Drive, I have connected Yaskawa Drives with the 240 Us single phase without any problems, so the Drives are very tolerant,of the supply voltage, they are the Industry standard, and the most sold servo system in the world

Nobody said the the Static phase converter generates 3 Ph power, but will trick the servo drive to thinking it has a 3ph supply, but my work around will do the same thing also
    Mactec54

The Phase Perfect produces true 3phase from single phase input, with in 1% of mains frequency, the two single phase lines are passed directly through and produces the 3rd phase from these.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The Phase Perfect produces true 3phase from single phase input, with in 1% of mains frequency, the two single phase lines are passed directly through and produces the 3rd phase from these.
    Al.
    Yes they do I have one,expensive but worth it if you need a good 3 Ph supply, the static phase converters I suggested only makes a fake 3rd leg, which most times is enough to get things running, not perfect but does what is needed
    Mactec54

I made my original RPC from the Fitch Williams design from the '80's it produces three phase but not very stable as far as exact frequency, but pretty close as Fitch's 'scope picture of the 3 relative phases showed. Good enough for VFD's and 3 ph motors etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

hi, i am facing this issue, powering up a 3phase yaskawa servo driver using a 1ph power.
    Am i able to connect a capacitor for the 3rd leg power? similar to powering a 3phase motor using a 1ph power.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphonics View Post
    hi, i am facing this issue, powering up a 3phase yaskawa servo driver using a 1ph power.
    Am i able to connect a capacitor for the 3rd leg power? similar to powering a 3phase motor using a 1ph power.
    No don't do that you will damage the drive

What Servo Drive do you have model spec's
    Mactec54

The driver is SGDM 08ADA

No don't do that you will damage the drive

What Servo Drive do you have model spec's

The driver is SGDM 08ADA
    The only way you can Power this up with Single Phase

Is Power connection to L1 and L2 and a Jumper from L1 to L3

So Live / Hot wire on L1

So try it with just L1 and L2 connected if you get a Phase Loss Fault then you can Jumper L1 to L3
    Mactec54

The only way you can Power this up with Single Phase

Is Power connection to L1 and L2 and a Jumper from L1 to L3

So Live / Hot wire on L1

So try it with just L1 and L2 connected if you get a Phase Loss Fault then you can Jumper L1 to L3

Hi Thanks I will give it a shot, will this method fry the driver?

Hi Thanks I will give it a shot, will this method fry the driver?
    No it will not fry the drive, it is the only way to run it on Single Phase
    Mactec54

Thanks I will try that out.
    But I can’t understand why does shorting L1 and L3 allows the driver to run with 1 phase?
    Does it affect the output power or torque?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I will try that out.
    But I can’t understand why does shorting L1 and L3 allows the driver to run with 1 phase?
    Does it affect the output power or torque?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not shorting anything it is providing a power presence to fool the phase loss detection circuit

Of cause it will affect the motor performance, you are still only using Single Phase supply, if the Drive is the same size as the motor you will need a derating by 1/3 or 1.73 for the lost amps that would normally would be available from the missing phase
    Mactec54

Thanks mactec54, it does works.

Page 2 of 2 12