586,121 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting of helixes on the indexer

This is my latest CNC project...flexible cutting of helixes with varying cross-sections and outlines. I got sucked into that by a post on the Shopbot forum and thought there must be better ways of doing that. So that got me working on a new software project.
    So far I have figured out the methods of defining the helix (using a series of cross-section descriptions) and the algorithms for optimal speed roughing and finishing tool paths. The results are quite promising (see pics) and I may develop this into saleable software at some point. That is, if I get myself over the tedious task of writing a proper user interface for it. And, I am just not sure how big the market for indexer related CAM software is. But I noticed the options for twisted table legs, architectural columns, decorative finials or jewelry items are pretty limited so far and even if it can be designed in 3d-CAD the tool path calculations can take long time and resulting tool paths are less than optimal. Here a few pics of my experiments. As you can see, the BigBamboo machine is still going strong after 5 years.

https://youtu.be/Dm5SrtTiL_U

Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Re: Cutting of helixes on the indexer

Fantastic work. I do not do anything nearly as elaborate as that on my indexer at work, so far only variable pitched feed screws for packaging machines & some custom timing sprockets. I will have one at home this year & hope to do some fun stuff like this. AWSOME!

Re: Cutting of helixes on the indexer

Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    Fantastic work. I do not do anything nearly as elaborate as that on my indexer at work, so far only variable pitched feed screws for packaging machines & some custom timing sprockets. I will have one at home this year & hope to do some fun stuff like this. AWSOME!
    Thanks But I just noticed the posted pics don't show, only the video. So here are the pics again with (hopefully correct) links:

Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET