586,103 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 16 89101112
    Hi shiney66
    This one cost me about A$600 or so to put together, with a lot of scrounging for cheap stuff and making my own stuff when I could. It was also when the Aussie dollar was about 0.78 US, so it would be more like $700-800 right now and even more at the NZ rate. Still a very cheap CNC router though.
    Yes you could probably get all the frame stuff from Bunnings (special order 25mm MDF).
    My electronics are hobbyCNC, you can find them on the web - I have the pro board and 305 oz/in steppers. Can't get them here for the price even with a crappy exchange rate.

Gecko, Roton, Keling, QTC, McMaster, Enco and others

Hello one and all,

As the title says, I am able to ship parts from these Suppliers at a very reasonable price. I have several mates in AU and NZ and have for over 2 years.

I refer you to this post to read, if interested in purchasing from these suppliers as well as others:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74408

I hope we can work together and become friends, as are a few of my clients have become...and if you need Skateboard Parts, Advice with building a CNC Machine or references to my service and performance, please contact me and I will be glad to provide usernames or email addresses for you.

I worked for over 13 years in Tool and Die and Job Shop trades. That is the reason I found this Great Forum.

I offer my advice based on my own experience and have been a member for, well, I don't know for sure...a couple of years.

I know Two AU Mates actively building CNC Routers, Laser Cutters and Lathe/Mill Conversions. One has told me he is happy to offer advice and discuss questions concerning building CNC machines. A really Great Guy and one that I consider a friend.

Keep building them because I enjoy tracking your progess and watching your YouTube videos of your completed work.

I am physically disabled from all but the most light chores around the house but I feel like I have a small hand in your machines when I see the Steppers, Gears, Belts and Pulleys that I sent to you, actually "making chips".

Regards to all,

Woody [Elwood]:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by BAbb View Post
    Here are some pics.
    Notice the threaded 16mm cold rolled steel rails. Nuts and washers on these really strengthen the design and hold it all square. (haven't seen this idea elsewhere). - Dark green nuts and washers from Bunnings.
    Max speed 5000mm/min on all axes before failure. I usually run at between 2000 and 3000mm/min (120in/min) for most cuts on softwoods (3-5 mm deep).

Here also is an example of violin back and neck (both cut inside frames - cut one side then flip over and do the other).

Brett.
    Nice work Brett, not bad speeds either, since I am using threaded rod my PC runs out of pulses at about 2000mm/min, my servo's will do at least double the rpm but even with low count encoders the pulse rate is too high for the PC to go any faster. I am not too worried, next machine will fix all that

Cheers.

Russell.

when you get a price set up for kit let us know and I will work on the wife for an increase in pocket money not holding my breath on that either regards shiney66

Barry, here, W.A Port hedland I'm in, new bod

Hi I have been off line for a while but my interest has been "sparked " again as I have scoured 4 WON SEB20 linear ball sets and that maybe moves me a little closer to building something. As a Kiwi I would be real interested in linking up with any locals who are keen. I am aware of "shinny66" and of Peter in Greymouth, also a "Steve" somewhere who built a Solvysla? 25 x 37 unit. Would really like to contact these guys. if any of you are in this forum or who can help me it would be much appreciated.
    Own interest is ~1000 x 600 for wood and plastic routing cutting.
    cheers
    Raynor J

Newby

I am very new to this thread. But have found myself becoming very interested in these machines.
    Is there anyone in the Auckland region that has built one of these CNC's. Or anyone know what sort of money I would looking at to construct one of these things
    My requirements would be strictly hobby of course and for use with wood and plastics.

Cheers

Brett.

Wink Hi Brett

Hi Brett as you can see from my enquiry in the mail before yours I have asked the question and there has been no replies and no response from shinny or the other parties so i guess like me you are probably stuck till someone answers.
    I am in Hamilton and since my mail I have established that the Greymouth guy is probably Peter Passuello 03-768-0069 though the number came from the phone book it being such an unusual surname. Originally I found reference to it in one of the forums.
    I have not started as yet and may well never if I cannot link up with those "in the know". I am sure the final cost depends on what you expect to do with anything you build. It would make sense for you to look at the drawings and descriptions on the Solvy?? page links from this website. Very informative and useful. Shows what you can build using simple stuff and MDF etc. but I suspect in the lon run performance requires more expensive bits.
    "Linear Bearings" in Auckland stock a lot of the stuff but costs are highish.
    Only real source of steppers and driver/controllers that are not industrial specs and therefore exorbitant here in NZ would seem to be again those linked off this site "hobbycnc etc."
    I have a local man here in hamilton who has a very simple unit that makes MDF gear wheels for his clocks. There is also a man in Rotorua who I bought some ball bushings off who has made a couple of machines and I believe sold them off.
    To me the critical equipment is establishing the stepper/servo drive and control matching with ratios etc. that works. In this huge forum that has much information there is very little I feel that leads one to the tricky art of choosing these components correctly. Dozens have put stuff together but there are endless threads with folk trying to get what they have operating without problems.
    The ability to link up with someone locally is by far I think the best option. That person however needs to have made something similar to what you want for yourself. A friend is making a moving bed machine "all metal" and as a craftsman he has made a real good job, however he to now has to make acall on drives etc.
    Hope this helps. Maybe we could have a yak on the phone if you wanted.
    regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raynorj View Post
    Hi I have been off line for a while but my interest has been "sparked " again as I have scoured 4 WON SEB20 linear ball sets and that maybe moves me a little closer to building something. As a Kiwi I would be real interested in linking up with any locals who are keen. I am aware of "shinny66" and of Peter in Greymouth, also a "Steve" somewhere who built a Solvysla? 25 x 37 unit. Would really like to contact these guys. if any of you are in this forum or who can help me it would be much appreciated.
    Own interest is ~1000 x 600 for wood and plastic routing cutting.
    cheers
    Raynor J
    Hi Raynor,

This is the above mentioned Peter from Greymouth. At the very least I would be surprised if there is another one. I would be happy to have a chat. I see you have been looking for and found some linear bearing sets. I have some here to get rid of if you need more. I currently have a Joe's Hybrid 4x4, well actually a 2x3 but who's measuring. At one point in time I had a Solvysla 25 x 37 as well and prior to that a Klienbauer Jester look alike. If you want a chat, PM me your phone number and I will give you a call.

Just spotted the post above and Ray's guess at my phone number is correct. Not many Passuello's in the phone book.

Cheers
    Peter (of Greymouth)
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

Ray

Thanks for the answer. I am no engineer, so when it starts getting into things like gears and bearings.....I get this glazed look that I can't seem to control(sort like when miss's starts nagging me).
    I found this site,

http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

which gives you the plans for one using MDF. I am a bit concerned about the accuracy when using this particular product.
    I don't have the budget right now, so I'm just fishing for ideas.
    It seems, (like other projects I've been involved with) that we pay a price for living down here. It's dam expensive to buy anything.

P.S I belong to quite a lot of forums(electronic/audio) and for some reason this seems to be the worst layout of any of them. Very difficult to find things in here. Threads seemed to be located in very strange places, and go off on strange tangents......anyway I'll still keep looking
    What's he building in there? What the hell is he building In there? He has subscriptions to those Magazines. I'll tell you one thing He's not building a playhouse for The children

Hi Brett, Well Peter and I have made contact and have been discussing things. Most useful. As you have said having no budget right now means that you have plenty of time to browse. Primarily you have to decide what you want to produce with your finished machine as that dictates size etc. Keep browsing and take a look at Joes.cnc and mechmate cnc both interesting looks along with many others in these forum pages. I believe "shinny" maybe an Auckland person but unless he spots these replies we wont know.
    cheers
    Raynor J

Group Buys

This may be the way to go. As shipping things down here gets very expensive very quickly.
    I have been involved with a few, and they can work out a lot cheaper.
    If everyone had the same design in mind, using similar parts.

Mine would mainly be used for plastics and MDF
    What's he building in there? What the hell is he building In there? He has subscriptions to those Magazines. I'll tell you one thing He's not building a playhouse for The children

Hi,
    I've been doing CNC through commercial suppliers for a few years now, but am looking to progress to doing my own. My cuts are 2m x 5000mm x 300mm from EPS, but I think I can get away with doing the cut in parts (x-axis) on a smaller bed (with careful alignment).

I'm interested in connecting with people in the Melborne area who have built a machine in the 2x4 or 4x8 realm to learn from their experience and possibly to have a couple of cuts done to confirm that it's possible on a small format machine.

I do vaccuum bagging using either venturi vac pump or one of the ones I've made from refrigerator compressor. I also built a manual hot wire cutter a while back. I'm happy to share experiences with this stuff.

I can source stuff out of China through family connections, so am interested in experiences in getting server motors and drives from there.

Red

Hey guys

I'm another lucky person from NZ
    Living in the deep south have some sort of fascination with biesse machines got one currently want more.
    Have a retro system going on my biesse rover 36 now
    Currently doing one for someone else to go on a rover 322

If anyone knows of a sorce of spare parts for biesse machines at all or some second hand vsd drives would be help full I would be interested a few more toys couldnt hurt.

be good to here from some people In NZ cheers Nick

Hi,
    I live in the suburb of Melville in the city of Perth.
    I had a go at building myself a small stepper driven mill and the project didn't end up going so well, instead I tore everything down and now I'm left with a bunch of parts.

Anyone interested in buying the motors, drivers and power supplies from me as a set?

I realise that there is a classifieds section on this site but I kinda just wanted to narrow the selling to Australia only. At the moment I'm just throwing the question out into the wind but if anyone here is interested just message me and I can supply details.

Unhappy tassidevil

don't know if I'm at the right place but have cnc machine
    [no ability to build so had to buy one ]

I'm looking for advice re programme for this. heard Rhino might be ok also the vetrec asapire[$$$$$$$$$]

Any info would be greatly recieved.

Just to be clear no longer in TASSI but in se qld

regards wayne geeves

wayne did you get some rhino yet? may be able to help yo out.
    use rhino and rhinocam here at work.

Hi All
    I am a newbee to this site and to serious CNC.
    I am a draughtsperson by background and a DIY’er by nature.

A couple of years ago my wife and I brought ourselves a Chinese 80W 1200 x 800 mm laser cutter/engraver with the aim of helping to build my own CNC machine.

This time last year I was deep into building my own stepper driven CNC controlled by EMC2. The machine is a 3 axis 1450 x 1050 x 500 mm work movement and is currently running under test programs doing “air machining”. I still have to make the work holding, dust covers and final axis alignment before touching stock.

Just after Xmas 2008 I found my old work was getting rid of a Morbidelli U50 machine. So guess what! I had to get a lockup with 3 phase power to house it. The machine needed some TLC and cleaning and modification to work in a low height building. I needed to learn how and why it worked. A couple of weeks ago I touched stock for the first time. Then went away to do some more research.

Eventually I will need to replace the Tria 6000 controller by ESA so I can drive it from modern G code generators like Visual Mill (which I own) as I can see the 200 line program max and non ascii2 type file format is going to be too restrictive for doing model aircraft / boat moulds and artistic type carving.

Does anybody have the complete wiring diagrams for the Tria 6000 as some pages (the important ones) are missing from my manual??

I am based in Paraparaumu New Zealand and have been put on to this site by a couple of your members. If you want to see my workshop and machines please have a look at
    http://www.hightechcarving.co.nz

Cheers Rob

first post for the year.

hey rob, good to hear from you. workshop and website look good.

my intro:
    I'm a melbourne cad, cam, cnc technician at one of the uni s here. 3 axis mills, 4 axis mills, lasers, 3d printers, traditiona workshops. More on the way....

Using mainly Rhino with rhinocam and operating a small 4 axis roland mdx 540,
    for Foams, wood, plastics. product design prototyes mainly, lots of curves.

I am by no means guru of the cnc machine fab side of things, but have done varied traditional/manual machining and fabrication for enginneering, sculpture and architecture, lots of metal, little bit of wood.

hear from you soon.

G'day

Hi from W.A.
    Could we at least have the date format changed? (for us Aussies)
    I have just bought a Feeler cnc lathe and cant quite get my head around Fanuc just yet so i may ask a lot of questions later.
    Also my mpg stopped working the other day for no apparent reason, any ideas?
    (nuts) had to do it sooo funny.

Page 10 of 16 89101112