586,531 active members*
2,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc OT Control Spindle

HI
    Have a Hardinge Conquest Lathe with a Fanuc OT Control, Hardinge won't give me the PLC for the machine (Said I have to get a service call) The Spindle runs fine in Setup or Manual Mode, but when I try to run a program, Spindle won't start and consequently, the machine freezes. Any ideas what could be the problem, I think it could be in the parameter settings but no way of knowing where to look. Thanks.
    Phil

Re: Fanuc OT Control Spindle

Does the screen say "FIN" near the bottom when a rotation command is given?

Don't Know, But I'll try tomorrow. Thanks.
    Phil

Phil,

Let me know what kind of machine it is and the serial number, I will try to help. I worked for Hardinge for 31 years as a tech, so I know these machines like the back of my hand and have the resources to get what you may need. First make sure that the spindle brake sensor is working properly, if it doesn't see that the brake is off it won't run the spindle in automatic,and the chuck has to be closed.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker604 View Post
    Phil,

Let me know what kind of machine it is and the serial number, I will try to help. I worked for Hardinge for 31 years as a tech, so I know these machines like the back of my hand and have the resources to get what you may need. First make sure that the spindle brake sensor is working properly, if it doesn't see that the brake is off it won't run the spindle in automatic,and the chuck has to be closed.

Mike
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Its a Conquest 42, Serial Number CS664, !988 vintage, OT Fanuc Control.
    The Spindle will run fine in Manual or Set up but when I try to run a program it stops at the spindle on command, no error message displays.How can I tell if Brake Sensor is working? Tried to run machine again just now and now have another problem. The Tool Index Plate is out of wack, this has happened a few times, but I generally am able to follow the Maintenance Manual and get it adjusted back. Don't know why it happens, it appears to occur when machine has been sitting idle for a while. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Sewing View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Its a Conquest 42, Serial Number CS664, !988 vintage, OT Fanuc Control.
    The Spindle will run fine in Manual or Set up but when I try to run a program it stops at the spindle on command, no error message displays.How can I tell if Brake Sensor is working? Tried to run machine again just now and now have another problem. The Tool Index Plate is out of wack, this has happened a few times, but I generally am able to follow the Maintenance Manual and get it adjusted back. Don't know why it happens, it appears to occur when machine has been sitting idle for a while. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks.
    Phil
    As far as your turret is concerned, make sure the motor coupling is tight and not slipping, also check your turret up prox switch, if it is not set right, it will truly to index before it is fully raised, which would cause slippage. When the machine sits a while, the turret may be getting a little stuck and when the hydraulics go to lift it , it takes a little longer. If it comes off the proxy switch before it is actually raised fully , that could cause problems, so make sure the prox switch doesn't make until it is fully raised.

Still thinking about the spindle issue, if you look at the first page of diagnostics while you are pressing the spindle brake pushbutton you should see a bit changing every time. That is the spindle brake proxy switch.