586,905 active members*
2,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > What do I need to watch for in a 6040 CNC? HELP PLEASE!

Question What do I need to watch for in a 6040 CNC? HELP PLEASE!

Hey all, I am very very new to this CNC world and feeling a bit overwhelmed with what to look out for in a Chinese 6040, I DO NOT want to purchase the wrong model or a knock off / imitation that will cause me issues after I receive the product.

During my research I found information regarding the following issues, can someone please HELP me to clearify:

1) Power Supply problems - I guess you need 45Watt PS
    2) Proper communication cable serial seems to be standard vs usb that has issues with Mack software etc...
    3) Unit weight - are some units heaver than others? I read to buy the 50kg + model rather than the 30kg version
    4) What reputable company to purchase from or eBay user?
    5) 1500Watt or 2.2KW spindle, is this the better one?
    6) Has the wiring been resolved on the newer units? Shielding and bonding seem to be issues...
    7) Do they all have 4 axis? I would like the 4 axis model...
    8) Do I buy a model with limit switches already installed?
    9) Is there different models i.e. S, T, X, Z, which is the newest one?

If I am going to do this I would like to get it "as right" as possible the first time, LOL

What should I be looking at for immediate upgrades as I will be using Mack3 or Mack4 software and using it primarily for aluminum milling?

Well this is a good start and I appreciate any and all feedback, thank you sooo much...

Re: What do I need to watch for in a 6040 CNC? HELP PLEASE!

There are many issues to deal with when importing a machine like this. First off, you may get something in return for your money, or you may not. If they do send you something, it may work, or it may not. The support needed to get it to work may be forthcoming, but probably won't. Parts and workmanship may be fine, or they may be defective and unsafe. The software that makes it run might be legal, registerable, and upgradable, but might not. Often people buy these machines for the frames, and immediately gut out the electronics, replacing them with something more dependable. While some people report some degree of success in milling aluminum with these things, they are routers designed for cutting wood and plastics, not mills designed for cutting metals, and not really the right tool for the job.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Well thank you soon much for your reply and honesty, its not what I wanted to hear but what I need to hear... With that being said is there a reliable US company that retails this product? I am looking at the option to just purchase the bed and populate with items from Automation Technology Inc (High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin). It does seem that it is a hit and miss purchase, some has had success while others have had a nightmarish experience.

I am hoping others would also post related to immediate upgrades and things that needs immediate attention during initial setup.

Thank you,

Hi,dear,

Pls kindly check my answers in blue color,hoping it is useful for you.

During my research I found information regarding the following issues, can someone please HELP me to clearify:

1) Power Supply problems - I guess you need 45Watt PS
    ----Phase can be single 220V/50HZ,110V/60HZ.So power supply no need worry about it.
    2) Proper communication cable serial seems to be standard vs usb that has issues with Mack software etc...
    ---If you use Mach 3 software,the interface will be USB.
    3) Unit weight - are some units heaver than others? I read to buy the 50kg + model rather than the 30kg version
    ----If 4060 cnc router,the weight should be 160KG. The machine support is iron made,the machine body is the whole cast aluminum.
    4) What reputable company to purchase from or eBay user?
    ----It is choose you like.As the company can be trusted,buy from which way is not important.
    5) 1500Watt or 2.2KW spindle, is this the better one?
    ----If most of time for cutting,2.2KW spindle can be better Choise.If most of time engraving,1500W is good choice,because it is more economiclly.But there is no big difference between 1500W and 2200W spindle,so choose you like.
    6) Has the wiring been resolved on the newer units? Shielding and bonding seem to be issues...
    ----why worried about the shidlding and bonding?Is there any problem?
    7) Do they all have 4 axis? I would like the 4 axis model...
    ----You want the rotary axis on the machine? If so,it is ok.Or use Mach 3 with 4 aixs system?
    8) Do I buy a model with limit switches already installed?
    ---Limit switched have installed.All are will be installed,after getting the machine,just need connect it with the computer,installing the Mach 3 and setting the parameters.
    9) Is there different models i.e. S, T, X, Z, which is the newest one?
    ---For the model ,it is no problem.In different company,the model is also different,such as,if the machine have vacuum table,we will called it V.

If have more question or needing,welcome to ask me any time.. [email protected] ,[email protected] .

6040's, where to start?

1 - They probably still represent THE best value machine in that class on the market despite all the Chinese bashers who can't point to anything comparable.
    2 - Quite solidly made, very robust and accurate once shimmed/squared.
    3 - The controllers/drivers they come with are absolutely garbage!
    4 - See above!
    5 - There are numerous different models, go for one with fully supported round rails on all axis, not the unsupported type, they're crap
    6 - DON'T buy the rubbish little DC brushed motor they call a spindle, opt for a proper VFD/Spindle combo
    7 - Did I mention the drivers are garbage, plan on adding a Gecko G540, you WON'T regret it!
    8 - The supplied 24VDC PSU's are usually very underrated for the machine, a 48VDC 5-6A PSU to match the G540 would be ideal
    9 - Unless you get the smaller body 2.2kW spindle, 1.5kw is probably about the biggest load the Z will happily carry
    10 - Mach3 is great, perfect for these machines.
    11 - Unless your planning on engraving chopsticks, the 4th axis these units all come with are all really gutless. Very common complaint. Expect to pay a lot more for a capable 4th axis or build one yourself.
    12 - Enjoy!

I highly recommend the machine, but the drivers work in the same way a broken watch is still right twice a day. Sorta.

Cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I bought a 6040 body only from what is now omiocnc, and added a G540 and power supply, plus a spindle and vfd.

To do that you need to be comfortable dealing with mains wiring and putting parts into enclosures.

I have *heard* that the new 'black' controllers are OK, e.g. X6-2200L-USB - CNC Desktop Engraver -omiocnc.com

The Omiocnc (used to be carving-cnc) are the only ones I'm aware of with the YOOCNC controllers that actually work out of the box. From all reports they appear to be quite good quality machines that work reliably.

Unlike of course the multitude of 6040's on ebay that come as standard with a non-functioning TB6560 board!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I am just on the Omiocnc website and I like the rail system as well, it is not suspended HG20 Linear Guide Rails,

Can you install backlash nuts on the 6040?

Unsupported rails == crap!

Supported rails == much better!

Linear rails == great!

You'd be amazed just how much flex you can get under load with unsupported rails!

cheers, Ian

It is sounding like the Omiocnc machine is the better build out there compared to eBay stuff. I just posted a question on the Omiocnc website asking the oz/in of the motors and the format i.e. Nema 23?

NEMA23 is the size standard the stepper conforms to, not the brand.

It's probably the most common sized stepper used by hobbyists and small commercial machines by far.

cheers, Ian