586,082 active members*
3,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Remote starting a HyperTherm

How do you remote start a Hypertherm powermax 1000 when you have a hand torch installed? Manual states remote start only works with the machine torch.

Dave

I think we had a recent post on this very subject, IIRC you just unplug the torch switch wires at the unit and plug in a pair to go to your control relay N.O. contacts.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Not quite that easy but close. Where the hand torch plugs in at the unit there is a safety lockout to prevent the remote start from working. What you can do is locate and identify the two wires (out of the bundle) that goes tot he the hand torch that is the hand torch swtich and put the torch relay contracts (ususally the contacts of a relay) in parallel with those wires by splicing them inot each of the hand torch switch wires, That way either switch will start the torch.

At one point someone had identified the internal safety wire to cut but it will void any warranty you might have with Hypertherm. You should be able to get the technical repair manual from Hypertherm as a registered user. If you can get the PDF send it to me and I'll tell you which wires to splice.

There should be someone on this list or possibly over on our support list (CandCNCSupport Yahoo Group) that has been there done that. I run a 1000 on my shop but use the machine head.

If most of your cutting is going to be CNC then the investment in the machine torch for the 1000 is easier to justify. Switching out torches is a 2 minute job.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com