586,612 active members*
3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Interact w/T151 control PC connection question

Interact w/T151 control PC connection question

I am trying to figure out how to connect my Series 1 Interact 1 with Heidenhain T151 to a PC. I know the control has a RS232 port but I don't know what the pinout is for the cable connection. Can I just plug a serial cable between the machine and PC, or do I need to wire a special cable?

Also, what is the procedure for transfering info to the mill? I run EZlink to send info to my BOSS 8 machine and I see an option there for Heidenhain controls...will this work to send the program over, or do I need something else? And, what do you do at the control to get it to accept the program?

Any help is appreciated and/or if anyone can tell me where to find the info...that would be great too. Thanks again everybody!

-Ryan

Have a look at the software here.It`s the en one near the bottom you want.

http://filebase.heidenhain.de/public/?open[]=72#GROUP72

Mark.

Thanks for the link. I assume I should be looking at the TNCremoNT software? That's the only one I see that makes sense. Any pointers on how to initiate the transfer at the mill?

If you dont have any manuals, search through Hed.'s site, they have them you can download, even some service manuals. I dont know how much I can help, I have a 150 control but i do have it hooked up to my pc. If you dont have any luck, I can get my pin out list and transfer instructions from the shop tomorrow and post them for you.

Not sure how I missed the manual the first time I hit their site...I only could find the new control info. Sure enough...they've got better documentation on their obsolete equipment than most companies have on their current products! Thanks for the tip...I'll check this wealth of info out and see what I can find.

-Ryan

Look at the manual for TNCremoNT v2.1 en.It shows the pinouts for the cable.Then download the software as well.If you go to www.heidenhain.com you can get all the info you will ever need on these controls.We don`t use the software as we only use the machine for second opping/one hit jobs and it is that easy to write the programme as required.
    Oops you had found it yourself while I was writing this.
    Mark.

you also may need a jumper connector to fool the tnc into seeing afull rs232 out of the pc. I did it years ago, but the diagram is in the heidenhain manuals

Ryan,
    Heres an image i scanned from my TNC 151/155 mounting instruction manual.
    it shows the recomended pinout for the adaptor cable,
    Once connected, if you set the data interface mode to "FE" the comunication parameters will be 9600 baud, 7 data bits, one stop bit, even parity.
    Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rs232.jpg  

Thanks for all the input everybody..I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow and see how I make out...

Thanks,
    -Ryan

Ryan , let us know if you have any cable problems. I could not get the cable in the book to work for me, I went with a generic cable and it works both ways, but I cant say about drip feeding with "blockwise protocol" as my 150 doesnt have this option. Keep us posted!

So i finally got the Interact connected up to my PC and am able to successfully transfer programs...sometimes. So far I have only been able to transfer using blockwise transfer, so we'll start there...

The control won't always accept the program...it will often say "entry data invalid" after it loads a few lines of code. At first I thought it was an error in the program, so I wrote it in the machine manually and it works. Then I keep trying to transfer the program and occassionally it will go through with no error. This means that it can't be the program...must be a comm error but I can't figure out what the problem is. Cable is made according to the Heid manual (with jumper) and I have set the machine parameters as best I can according to the manual (I'll admit I don't know exactly what all the stuff in there means!)

Anyone else have any ideas?

-Ryan

re

If it goes through sometimes, and it is in random spots within the program, then you probably have a bad connection or ground loop. If you made the cable, don't ground both ends

there can also be ascii setup errors, but this should show up at line one or two. Try a program of 20 'LBL 0' in a row, no errors there. If it downloads fine but errors at line 1 when uploading, it is an ascii setup. Extra line feeds can drive it nuts

Quote Originally Posted by rkdygert View Post
    So i finally got the Interact connected up to my PC and am able to successfully transfer programs...sometimes. So far I have only been able to transfer using blockwise transfer, so we'll start there...

The control won't always accept the program...it will often say "entry data invalid" after it loads a few lines of code. At first I thought it was an error in the program, so I wrote it in the machine manually and it works. Then I keep trying to transfer the program and occassionally it will go through with no error. This means that it can't be the program...must be a comm error but I can't figure out what the problem is. Cable is made according to the Heid manual (with jumper) and I have set the machine parameters as best I can according to the manual (I'll admit I don't know exactly what all the stuff in there means!)

Anyone else have any ideas?

-Ryan
    Ryan, this is EXACTLY the problem I had last year with my Interact1 / TNC151B. It turned out that I had the control in the wrong mode and when corrected all is sweetness and light!

If you search through previous threads you will find all the greusome details.

Here is one:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12990

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

AWEM:

I read that post of yours...the trouble is mine is a TNC151A and the mod key doesn't let you select between EXT, FE, or ME modes on mine (at least I don't see where it does). As far as I can tell, this needs to be set in the machine parameters on mine...which I "believe" I have set correctly though I'm not sure because Heiden's website doesn't have the interface manual for the 151a available...only the 151b. So there I'm kinda stuck...

-Ryan

http://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/o.../gb/interf.pdf

seems to be in there, but perhaps I'm not seeing everything

Yes, the 151/155A was Pre/fe mode. therefore you need to set the parameters.

parameter 92 (decimal character in program in/out via rs232 interface)
    0 = decimal comma - 1 = decimal point

Parameter 217 (switchover dialog/iso)
    0 = Heidenhain Dialog - 1 = ISO (G Code)

Parameter 218 (ascii characters for input)
    use 17701 for the standard % and E

Parameter 219 (ascii characters for output)
    use 16677 for the standard % and A

Parameter 220 (ascii characters for begining and end of heading block)
    use 279 for the standard ETB and SOH

Parameter 221 (ascii characters for transmission correction)
    use 5382 for the standard ACK and NAK

Parameter 222 (Data format)
    Use 168 for 7 data bits, 1 stop bit, even parity

Parameter 223 (Data Interface operating mode)
    0 = standard data interface - 1 = Transfer Blockwise

Parameter 224 (ascii characters for transmission end)
    use 4 for the standard EOT

Then set dnc software to match Par 222 (7,1,even)
    set baud rate via "mod" key to match setting in dnc software.

If you need to use ascii characters or other settings that are different than the standard ones listed above,
    let me know, i'll be happy to calculate the parameter value for you.
    Hope this helps

roseng:

I need a little clarification on what exactly some of the parameters mean. I tried them as you listed here and ran into some more trouble. Let me see if I have their definitions right:

P92: defines if the part program uses a comma or a point for a decimal

P217: defines if the program is written in Heid format or Gcode (self explanatory)

P218: Not sure excatly what this does. When I change it to 17701 as you have stated, I get an error that the "program.%" is not found...i.e. the control is looking for a program with a % as its extension. If I change it to what the manual says (17736) it seems to look for a *.H extension as I would expect. However, I don't know what the 'E' is for in your description and how it relates to the comm software (basically I don't know what value I need b/c I don't know what ascii character the comm wants to use.)

P219: Same as above but not so concerned b/c it's for transfer out.

P220: Defines what characters define the heading block...but what is the heading block. Is it part of the part program or is it something the comm software sends before the transmission?

P221: Understand what they do but don't know how to determine which I want from the comm software.

P222: Self-explanatory...but what about handshake?

P223&P224: Self-explanatory

I'm running TNCserver from Heid but it only allows for selection of baud rate. The parity, data bits, stop bit, and handshake I have selected in the hardware profile of windows...I assume this is sufficient?

Thanks for the help,
    -Ryan