586,113 active members*
3,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > New AXYZ A2MC 4008, no Z touch plate?

New AXYZ A2MC 4008, no Z touch plate?

Purchased a new AXYZ 4008 with all the bells and whistles, on install the tech demonstrated the approved method of setting the Z / table top position - basically you use the control tablet to manually crash the tool into the table top, when it touches that's where you set Z=0.

Compared to the Z plate used by all other commercial, and most hobby, CNC routers this seems like a rather primitive, inaccurate, and inconsistent method of setting the Z height for the table top and the Z=0 for the top of materials where you are using a top down machining strategy.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to set the Z = 0 on an AXYZ A2MC machine?

Re: New AXYZ A2MC 4008, no Z touch plate?

Hi Supertigre90,
    I know your post is a few months old but thought I'd check in to see how you are doing with the "manual" zeroing. Is it not as big of a deal as you initially thought it would be? Just curious because last week I visited both AXYZ and Multicam offices to compare machines for purchase. I was really surprised that AXYZ lacked a Z plate as even my Shopbot has one. Hope it isn't an issue for you!

Jeff;

My ShopBot has a Z-plate as well.

It continues to be just as much of a PITA as it was initially. I have contacted AXYZ to see if a Z-touch plate
    will be added as an option to the A2MC controller in the future and I keep getting the same answer
    (with minor variations), yes we are looking into it, we have no immediate plans, no we cannot / will not tell
    you when it will be available.

The worst part is that AXYZ did have a z-touch plate on their older AMC controller (they called it an S-mouse).
    Most of my work is fine with the bottom referencing system promoted by AXYZ but about 15 - 20% requires
    an accurate reference to the top of the material and this is a deal breaker. If I had a chance to do it over
    there would be a MultiCam sitting in my shop even with the smaller table and higher price.

Thanks for the response. The AXYZ rep told me they used to have a Z plate (as you mention) but discontinued it because it was problematic. I didn't delve into it any further with him perhaps because it came as such a surprise. I can't imagine not having this and having to manually program the material height or caliper the material to get the exact dimension. Either way, I'm sure you now have the Z zero routine down to a science and hopefully it's not slowing you down.

With the dust collector foot mounted it is VERY difficult to see when shorter bits (ie normal length 1/4" and 1/8" bits) are about to touch the material.
    Setting the length of tools on pre-finished materials (for engraving) is impossible as touching the tool to the material marks the polished material
    rendering it into garbage. Crashing tools into the material to set the height is not consistent. accurate, or repeatable, a properly implimented Z-plate is.

As I said below "If I had a chance to do it over there would be a MultiCam sitting in my shop even with the smaller table and higher price."

I spent a good amount of effort comparing AXYZ with Multicam. Last week I went to Cincinnati where they both have showrooms 10 minutes away from each other to compare first hand the AXYZ Pacer with the Multicam Apex. I ended up purchasing the Apex. The AXYZ seemed to be a pretty good machine for the price but the lack of Z plate really put a bad taste in my mouth.