586,035 active members*
3,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Using Tool offset gage with a C6

Using Tool offset gage with a C6

Okay I admit it, I feel like a lost child. I’ve had this machine (VM24 w Cent 6) for 17 years and never used a tool touch off gage before and it never bothered me because we just do one-offs with various part shapes. 95% of the time we use the top of the part for Z zero and set the tool using a .001 brass shim then move the head for the offset and set the zero. How can I enter the gage’s height, such as 2” or 4", on the cent. 6 control? On the 8200 control you have a choice to change all the tool heights with one press of the button or enter a value for your Z zero location for that one tool. Is there a parameter that can be changed on the C6 to reveal something similar. Having to move the head 2” or 4” each time seems to defeat the purpose of using the tool setter.

Re: Using Tool offset gage with a C6

The tool setter height doesn't matter...all your H offsets will be the Z machine pos in relation to the setter then use one tool to determine the height difference between the setter and the workpiece for your G54 Z position. Et voila.

One of the lads at work actually machined a standard that zeros our Teclock tool setters so we pick up the G54 Z position with a dial indicator.

gdafoe, thanks. I get what your saying but how do I actually enter the G54 Z position relative to the tool position? The only option I have on the C6 control is to enter the tool number, that I can see. I can't enter the distance from the tool setter to the G54 Z position like I can on the newer control. Example: If I program in a CAM system using the top of the part as my Z zero, and after setup my tool setter is 1.154 below the Z zero, how do I enter this number in the machine? Hope this makes sense.

On my Centurion V it has a tool setting cycle and you input the spacer/setting tool thickness as you are getting the dimensions. I tend to use a .020" feeler gage, mainly because on the knee mill I don't have enough Z stroke to accommodate a 2" LED unit that I have.

I think you can use the G54 like a Z grid shift too, say you wanted to always use a 4" setting gage off the table, then all your tool dimensions stay the same unless you put a new tool into the holder. Then all you have to do is get the Z difference from the 4" to the height of your part. I've never done it that way, but I can see the advantages if you are careful and have a "system" in place. You would need to get used to calling say T02 with maybe an offset of H24... the tool offsets stay the same based on a permanent tool offset table, but you call the tools up in the order you want to use them. Makes for some 5 minutes set up times when you go from one part to another a lot.

I decided to download the centurion 6 manual and h offset method with setter process is explained on page 160. Unfortunately, since the C6 does direct inputs for all offsets and doesn't have an adjustable operator position feature, manually inputting the setter height and tool rad for each touch off is required.

Okay. We found the solution to the problem. I talked to Milltronics and they walked me through the parameters to get the G54-Z to show up on my screen and allow me to enter the tool setter offset instead of just the tool number. For some reason these options were turned off. So now it behaves like the newer 8200 does. After some 17 years doing it one way this may take some getting used to but will be better in the long run. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Okay. We found the solution to the problem. I talked to Milltronics and they walked me through the parameters to get the G54-Z to show up on my screen and allow me to enter the tool setter offset instead of just the tool number. For some reason these options were turned off. So now it behaves like the newer 8200 does. After some 17 years doing it one way this may take some getting used to but will be better in the long run. Thanks everyone for your help.
    I feel I was only marginally helpful, but am glad the issue is resolved! Of all the various setup methods, I find using a setter to be the least tedious once you become accustomed to the process.

Quote Originally Posted by gdafoe View Post
    I feel I was only marginally helpful, but am glad the issue is resolved! Of all the various setup methods, I find using a setter to be the least tedious once you become accustomed to the process.
    Actually you got me thinking in the right direction, that it really was software related. My manual didn't cover the parameters I needed to check so I called Milltronics. They walked me through the process. Good people BTW. Your right that it will be less tedious. My only concern is when I set up one tool for a quick job I may forget about the length offset and enter the tool number instead. I did that a couple of times on the 8200 control and it crashed.

I'm pretty sure that on my machine when you are in the tool setting routine, the first tool you set T01 then input the gage length offset, say 2.000 and then as you step thru to the other tools, the gage length stays at the default 2", so all you have to do is hit enter.

Check out the new thread I made about this, I found a way to do what you are looking for.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/milltr...ml#post1915876

Try using the tool set program. Run, Tlset. it will ask for the height of the gauge and set the G54Z offset for you. you still need to know the height difference between the top of the gauge block and the top of the part.

Sportybob