586,082 active members*
3,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fusion 360 text size issue

Not quite sure whether this is a PathPilot, Fusion 360, Tormach 1100, or operator issue, but I had a strange one today

I copied the pathpilot single line fonts into my windows font directory so I could use them in Fusion 360, that worked, except the letters come out the wrong height. I used the Freemono font and set the text height in fusion to 0.15", but when I engraved them, they came out short, I measured approx. 0.11". I went into fusion and measured the height on the model and I found that the 'text box" that fusion drew to put the text into measured 0.2" on the model, but the text it's self is visibly shorter than the box.

This seems odd to me, but I have no idea if it's normal (if so seems really dumb), if it's a bug in fusion, or an artifact of the imported font, or, most likely, I'm doing something wrong.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Terry

Re: Fusion 360 text size issue

Font sizes are driven by the font file which defines the height of the characters, but some fonts don't use the entire height except maybe for one or two special characters, if then. The CAD program just uses the defined heights to size and place the text-- it doesn't look at the size of the actual strokes because then "oooo" would need to be scaled differently than "OoOo" or "opop"

TLDR: it's a font thing and different fonts behave differently

Re: Fusion 360 text size issue

Thanks Shred, It turns out there is something of an issue in Fusion 360. I posted a similar question there and got a response that will at least let me get what I want, and I believe they are working to improve it.

Solved: Re: Text Height issue - Autodesk Community

Terry