586,067 active members*
5,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

need info on 210-MB

I just bought an older Komo CNC router which has a 210-MB controller. What is the maximum memory for this controller?

thanks!
    My main machine: Multicam MG series (MG101) with original Extratech H971 controller, Minarik servo motors, Electro-Craft BRU-series drives, 4KW Colombo. Let's talk Multicam!

Re: need info on 210-MB

It is 128k (320m, 1080ft).

That's every bit as pathetic as I expected. What kind of clever hacks are available to get around that?
    My main machine: Multicam MG series (MG101) with original Extratech H971 controller, Minarik servo motors, Electro-Craft BRU-series drives, 4KW Colombo. Let's talk Multicam!

None. Both hardware and software are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    None. Both hardware and software are limited.
    Yes, no doubt.

Now, back to the matter at hand: what kind of hacking needs to be done to move beyond this idiotic and insulting limit?

:-)

First you must remember that the 210 control is a low end controller. Seems to me if memory was an issue then you ought not have bought a machine with the Fanuc 21 controller on it. You can drip feed using a PC and have as much memory as the PC can hold. Of course there are limits to drip feeding but other than that I see no real solution for you. Calmotion makes a nice device that you feed via Ethernet and drip feed to the CNC via RS232.

Way too much for the limited market; we are doing it very slowly for the 0-MC version, which has a much larger market and is easier.

Thanks for the insights.

This exact same machine was shipped in later years with a 210i control. I've done a little shopping and they can be had on the used market for a price I could afford.

Does any body know how close to a drop in replacement this would be? Could I really just load up the machine parameters and go?

The 21iA/210iA controls are plug compatible with the 16/18 iA series, which can have 2Mbytes internal storage. There are other considerations such as ladder conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    The 21iA/210iA controls are plug compatible with the 16/18 iA series, which can have 2Mbytes internal storage. There are other considerations such as ladder conversions.
    Thanks. Is there someplace on the internet where I can find specs for the various Fanuc controllers? Things like max memory, a list of the ports, mhz, etc?

"Things like max memory, a list of the ports, mhz, etc?" I doubt it.
    All 16 controls, starting with the 16B version, can use 2 Mbytes; most of the 18C and later can too, but may need to upgrade their software.
    The 16/18/21 iA controls all used the same basic motherboard. Fanuc limited the functionality by populating them differently. You can replace the 21iA control fairly easily with a 16 or 18 iA control. If your control has a small monochrome display, it may be difficult to physically use a 10.4" color display.
    If no major difficulty, I expect that the job can be done for <<$10k.

Be careful in selecting a controller just to boost your memory capabilities. Going from a 210MB to a 210iMB is major as you now have to replace the whole servo system. The i series uses different motor and drives than the pre i series did. Ladder will have to be modified to function in the newer system and also I/O may become an issue. You might be better off to call Fanuc 1-888-FANUC-US (1-888-326-8287) and request that an account manager pays you a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Going from a 210MB to a 210iMB is major as you now have to replace the whole servo system. The i series uses different motor and drives than the pre i series did.
    I was afraid of that. The one thing I have going for me is that I can study a newer version of the machine to find out what parts were used, since it was also furnished from the factory with a 210i controller.

True; I only considered going from a 21iA to a 16 or 18 iA because of that.

I've been studying the 210MB maintenance manual (B–62705EN/03) and it lists a "Remote buffer" board with this part number:

A16B–2200–0913

There's a couple of these listed on ebay for about 2 grand. They both claim 16MB capacity. There seem to be some settings in the manual involving G05 (look ahead) and the "remote adapter". On the surface of things, (to this Fanuc newbie) it looks like the solution to my quest of being able to run large 3D contouring files at reasonable speed.

Does anybody know anything?

Never mind, I found the "gotcha". This board only works with the 21MB, NOT the 210MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltz View Post
    I've been studying the 210MB maintenance manual (B–62705EN/03) and it lists a "Remote buffer" board with this part number:

A16B–2200–0913

There's a couple of these listed on ebay for about 2 grand. They both claim 16MB capacity. There seem to be some settings in the manual involving G05 (look ahead) and the "remote adapter". On the surface of things, (to this Fanuc newbie) it looks like the solution to my quest of being able to run large 3D contouring files at reasonable speed.

Does anybody know anything?

Okay, I finally got around to firing this thing up. For those who didn't read post 1 of this thread, the machine is a Komo CNC router built in 1998.

Since it had been disconnected for months the backup batteries in the drives ran down and now I need to find out how to clear the ZRN alarms on all axes. At this point it allows me to jog it into an "extreme overtravel" alarm, which requires that I shove or lever it back off the prox sensor. I presume that this machine relies on soft limits and once I get the encoders reset it won't allow this any more.

Jog the axis where you want them to be. (Home position). Turn on PWE under OFFSET/SETTING page. Goto SYSTEM page and under Parameters type 1815 then NO> SEARCH. Move the cursor to the right till the APZ bit is highlighted. in MDI mode type 1 INPUT. This will set your home position to where the axis is when you set the APZ bit. Cycle power and you are all set to roll

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Jog the axis where you want them to be. (Home position). Turn on PWE under OFFSET/SETTING page. Goto SYSTEM page and under Parameters type 1815 then NO> SEARCH. Move the cursor to the right till the APZ bit is highlighted. in MDI mode type 1 INPUT. This will set your home position to where the axis is when you set the APZ bit. Cycle power and you are all set to roll
    Thanks, this was very helpful, I found the parameter, although I'm still trying to figure out exactly where "home" should be, so I haven't set it.

The manual drawbar release is not doing anything. Is there a diagnostic screen where I can see if the controller is getting a signal from the switch?

Okay, I found that the coils on the drawbar air solenoid valve connect to pins 10 and 36 on TB127, which is the lower of the two ribbon cables going into the controller. Does this tell me anything about where to look for diagnostic data?

Page 1 of 2 12