586,115 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Citizen M20 small part catching

Just started to run our (new to us) M20. Uses a basket in one of the turret positions to catch parts out of the subspindle and then rotates the turret and flings the part into the part bin below the door.

Our parts are very small, about 0.4" long, 0.25dia at the largest, with a through hole and turned down OD. Sometimes the part is flung correctly into the bin, sometimes the machine dutifully tosses the part into the oil tank, never to be recovered.

Anyone have thoughts on how to rectify this? One option is to have a covered container with a hole in the basket on the turret, and the accumulated parts stay in there until the operator empties the basket. We must run the machine 24hrs so I think any box that would fit will also fill up over night. Obviously a serious problem. I think this would work well for smaller parts.

I assume bigger parts can be more reliably flung into the part bin. We're in the uncanny region between part sizes.

Any other options?

Re: Citizen M20 small part catching

There is a gap between the Turret baskt and the parts catcher area. When doing small parts, try using some laminated paper to bridge the gap. Maybe punch a few small holes in laminated paper and use zip ties to attach to the basket. If the parts get too small, then you will want to use an oil line to wash them into the catcher area.

We ended up doing exactly that - a piece of plastic shim stock extended from inside the part bin towards the turret. Works like a charm.

That's a great idea about the oil jet. We have some much smaller parts coming up so I might use that. Much appreciated.

I spoke to Citizen in NJ and they confirmed that it does indeed take some work to get that part drop working well

In the past, when doing small washers, I have also had luck using a gauge pin in station 41,42,43 and using the air blast to shoot them onto it. So if the ID is .063", i would use a .060" pin and let it run 100. Then grab them all. Then repeat. If i may ask, what kind of parts are you doing? Aerospace? Orthopaedic? Automotive? Defense?

That's a neat idea, with the gauge pins. We need to run overnight so I'd have to figure it out but I can see how it would work.

This is for a small pneumatic valve part in brass.