586,581 active members*
2,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > HOW DO I ADJUST MY MOUSE POINTER ?
Page 1 of 2 12

HOW DO I ADJUST MY MOUSE POINTER ?

Hi Folks

I know how to find the way to adjust things like mouse pointer sensitivity or speed in windows, but how do I do it in Pathpilot?

Keen

Re: HOW DO I ADJUST MY MOUSE POINTER ?

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Folks

I know how to find the way to adjust things like mouse pointer sensitivity or speed in windows, but how do I do it in Pathpilot?

Keen
    You can do "xset m <speed> <accel>" as root. Details below.

Code:
    ctrl+alt+x (open command prompt)
    sudo -i   (password is operator if it asks, BE CAREFUL THIS ACCOUNT CAN BREAK STUFF)
    xset m 5 5   (this works well for my little track pad, fiddle with the numbers until it works for you)
    Attachment 298282

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    You can do "xset m <speed> <accel>" as root. Details below.

[CODE]
    ctrl+alt+x (open command prompt)
    sudo -i (password is operator if it asks, BE CAREFUL THIS ACCOUNT CAN BREAK STUFF)
    xset m 5 5 (this works well for my little track pad, fiddle with the numbers until it works for you)

Attachment 298282
    Thanks for that. I think you are saying prepare a section of code as per your example and run it.

Yikes, am not sure I want to risk this if you are saying this account can break stuff!

keen

Thanks for that. I think you are saying prepare a section of code as per your example and run it.

Yikes, am not sure I want to risk this if you are saying this account can break stuff!

keen
    No problem at all. You don't need to prepare any code. Sorry, I just used code tags to offset the Linux commands from my text. You can manually enter the commands "MDI" style into the Linux prompt. I put multiple xset commands to give examples of slow (1/2) and fast (5) settings.

Let me know if there is any more confusion and I'll help clear it up.

I greatly appreciate your effort posting this. I am just wary of your comment of breaking stuff .

- I need an idiot proof approach - I have had too many unexpected stuff ups that I have not understood well enough to anticipate or undo.

Cheers Keen

I greatly appreciate your effort posting this. I am just wary of your comment of breaking stuff .

- I need an idiot proof approach - I have had too many unexpected stuff ups that I have not understood well enough to anticipate or undo.

Cheers Keen
    Try booting into Gnome by pressing and holding the left Ctrl+Alt keys when the Tormach Logo appears. Then you'll have access to the menus and dialogs that you're probably more familiar with. The mouse dialog can be found under System-->Preferences-->Mouse.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Try booting into Gnome by pressing and holding the left Ctrl+Alt keys when the Tormach Logo appears. Then you'll have access to the menus and dialogs that you're probably more familiar with. The mouse dialog can be found under System-->Preferences-->Mouse.
    Step
    Thanks Step, that made it easy! I needed a bit more of double click delay as the old arthritic fingers dont move fast enough anymore.......................

thanks again!
    mike sr

Step
    Hi Guys - I finally got time to try to slow down my mouse speed and no luck yet.

Step I tried your suggestion but it would not boot into Gnome...whatever that is. It just opened up in pathpilot as per normal.

I tried F2 on bootup also - then set up - but no mention of mouse settings?

I tried under ADMIN in the MDI also - but no mouse setting options that I could find?

Keen

Are you pressing and HOLDING the buttons down? Keep them down until the desktop appears with the menu bar at the top.
    Step

Hi Step. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Yes I did both ctrl and Alt down ...and in case you meant Ctrl and + and Alt I tried that too....yes I just held them down from when the big Tormach Logo appeared....just kept them down until Pathpilot appeared....is that correct?

Keen

HOW DO I ADJUST MY MOUSE POINTER ?

Hi Step. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Yes I did both ctrl and Alt down ...and in case you meant Ctrl and + and Alt I tried that too....yes I just held them down from when the big Tormach Logo appeared....just kept them down until Pathpilot appeared....is that correct?

Keen
    That's just the Ctrl and the Alt buttons on the LEFT hand side of the keyboard - note that the keys on the right side don't work. I've used wired and wireless keyboards on a variety of PC hardware with no issues.
    Steo

Not only must one hold down Ctl-Alt on the left side, but there appears to be a timing window as well. If you wait until the Tormach logo appears, you're too late. Or so it seems on my machine. I just do a cold start and immediately hold down ctl-alt; that works.

Does CTRL-ALT work? I always use left SHIFT-ALT.

Timely thread! I need to do this today because my track ball is on warp speed and needs to be adjusted so it isn't such a PITA...nearly impossible to use while wearing any sort of glove.

Quote Originally Posted by wvines View Post
    Does CTRL-ALT work? I always use left SHIFT-ALT.
    Uhhh! What can I say? You're absolutely correct. I even checked the code this morning to make sure nothing had changed and I didn't notice my error. I guess Mike just read my mind
    To avoid any further confusion, here's the respective code:
    Code:
    if [ "$LEFT_SHIFT" == "1" ] && [ "$LEFT_LALT" == "1" ]; then
    Sorry about that.
    Step

Uhhh! What can I say? You're absolutely correct. I even checked the code this morning to make sure nothing had changed and I didn't notice my error. I guess Mike just read my mind
    To avoid any further confusion, here's the respective code:
    Code:
    if [ "$LEFT_SHIFT" == "1" ] && [ "$LEFT_LALT" == "1" ]; then
    Sorry about that.
    Step
    No worries Step - shift alt worked and I entered the Gnome world for the first time! ...Wow! That is what is so great about this forum - we can all contribute from our own areas of expertise...thanks guys.

I had to slow the mouse slider to the max to get a good reasonable speed - is that because mice vary? and my one was very skittish?

Keen

Thanks Step. I am very familiar with Windows but this is my first Linux system. I have a question. I've done a lot of programming for Windows, starting with Visual Basic and then Visual Studio, etc. Is there a good program/editor that you would recommend for programming and creating software for Linux?

Thanks,
    GenInt

Warning! This is a question that often starts long arguments :-) It is traditional :-)

A simple text editor that works much like notepad does in Windows is "nano".

The long-time favorites for editing code are "vi" and/or "emacs". Those programs are mostly for editing text, with not much support for "code" beyond coloring different kinds of syntax different colors (comments are one color, variables another color, etc.) However, many devlopers find them plenty capable enough. I often develop using one window for each source code file with another window that I use to compile (if necessary) and run the code.

More "fully featured" code development environments include "eclipse" and "netbeans". These work really well for java, and have the ability to understand other programming languages as well.

There are probably a few dozen more editors available :-) Linux has over 20,000 packages that are normally available to install if you wish (for free).

The versions of PathPilot that I have worked with use "gedit" as the the g code editor. Gedit is able to do a lot more than edit g code. Vi is also present. There may be other editors installed as well, but I haven't looked.

Iwoestman,
    Thank you for your reply. In real layman's terms, (if I understand what you are saying), is that you could start off with a computer that has an operating system such as Ubuntu that relies on a Linux kernel. This operating system can understand code that was written in java, html, c++, and/or probably dozens of other programming languages. Having said that though, some languages may be better suited, and have better tools for specific tasks then others. For instance, I build machines for the printing and plastic gift card / credit card industry. I do a lot of serial port, USB port, and LAN interfacing with vision systems, Mag-stripe readers, barcode readers, RFID readers, etc., as well as communicating with PLCs I also have to do a lot of high speed interaction with databases, both to store data, and to do look-ups on data. Additionally I have to create an easy to understand user interface. Actually, the type of programming that I need to do has all the same elements to it as the software that runs my Tormach 1100.

When I started programming for Windows, (I think it was VB4, and then VB5 & VB6), it was very nice to have all the little dlls and ocx controls, to help with my type of programming, but when Windows made the shift to dot net, riding on the net framework all those nice things were gone, and it became kind of a pain to do programming that used to be relatively easy. Since then, I've also found that the Windows platform has become very complicated and a little dangerous, (because there is so much stuff going on in the background), for development of software that can move things around with motors that have enough power to physically hurt somebody. These are the reasons that I was thinking of looking at Linux as being the base for future development. My other dilemma is that I'm 62 years old, and probably only have enough energy and lifespan left to really get good at understanding one more programming language.

So, while one language might be better for App development, another for website development, and so forth, there might be one that's better, and have more handy little tools, for the type of development that I need to do. This brings me to 2 questions for you. 1. Based on your experience, (running Linux), do you have any advice as to which programming language might be best suited to the type of programming that I need to do? 2. Can you tell by looking at Tormach's source code what development language they might have used to create the program used to run my PCNC 1100?

Thank you
    GenInt

Page 1 of 2 12