586,051 active members*
3,896 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > help with toolpath on a knife blade V26 Mill Std

Question help with toolpath on a knife blade V26 Mill Std

im having some issues getting a usable toolpath. I need to machine both bevels on the included part, in Fusion it does exactly what I want using a 3d contour tool path. However I need to use BobCam, because my machine is 2axis cnc. im using a 2 axis post with Z stops, so I can adjust the depth manually for each pass. I have version 26 mill standard 3axis. I have started a toolpath as you can see in the bobcad file. I tried to use a boundary to limit it to just the front bevel and it crashes the program.... the bevels are flat, they are not 3d contoured, just a sweep cut in solidworks following a line I drew. I want to use a .75in ball end mill to cut the bevels. can anyone help me out? thanks.

Re: help with toolpath on a knife blade V26 Mill Std

I dont know about bobcad. But could you not use a 2 axis router post from fusion?

Maybe sketch a square to use as the boundary?

I would likely be using a rouging strategy and a parallel to finish

I don't want a roughing and finish, just one op is needed. I wasn't aware of a 2 axis post for fusion but I'll do some some looking, thanks.

The guys on the autodesk forum will make one for you. Thats where I got our shops Hurco post processor. It would not run ISNC codes so I needed one that posted only BNC codes. Someone else had this issue and the post was already made. But if not, they can likely edit a post thats close, so it does what you need

I'll do some searching, thanks. I'm using mach3 so they already may have a usable 2axis post. I think all the bobcad 2axis post does it put in M01 stops before Z moves, and after looking at a file I think it's only rapid Z too....

Here's a video to be sure you are selecting boundary correctly. Your file opened with incorrect boundary.

https://youtu.be/13NZg7DNXAs

But we are also using disparate systems. The video is done in V27 because I cant open your file in V26. Possibly because your using a solidworks version? Or our builds are different.

Currently remaking your finish feature in V26 to double check.

Can you speak to if this video shows what your after? If so, note the boundary selection.

Here's the V26 file done on my system. I merged in your geometry and rebuilt the z-level finish by reading your other file with V27.

I didn't look too meticulously so I may not have setup the stock the same, etc... But see if you can open this.

Nice bro, that's what I wanted but everytime I tried to change or even add boundary it would crash, I also was thinking of boundary wrong, as in what I didn't want cut.
    The part was modeled in solidworks, but the cam is cadcam v26 mill standard, the build is one released after my initial purchase, they hooked me up cause my installed build would crash over and over and over, after letting them remote in to look, they upgraded my build no charge.
    Thanks again, I appreciate you helping me understand. Lol it was right in front of my face

No worries. Yes, boundary is a "containment" item... I think you got it... A limitation though, is a "single closed boundary" per feature. So you cant select several closed circles for a single surface.

But the DMS allows multiple features with separate boundaries within one DMS, so that handles that part....

Anyway, just ask more if need more....

I have one more question, did I select the right tool path for what I described my need was? I've never dabbled in the 3 axis features of my software package.... I see the tool path on the screen here at it looks right, I'm just curious if there's maybe a more appropriate strategy to what I need. Which is absolutely no Z movement while X-Y are in motion during cutting.

I have to add one more time, my greatest gratitude, it was a simple fix but here is what im after, flawless execution, looking in the posted code its following a 2d cut path perfectly, with my M01 stop before making the Z depth adjustment. thank you very much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails knifemachinedsim.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by chevydyl View Post
    I have to add one more time, my greatest gratitude, it was a simple fix but here is what im after, flawless execution, looking in the posted code its following a 2d cut path perfectly, with my M01 stop before making the Z depth adjustment. thank you very much
    looks like you got it sorted. You set the feature options perfect!

The stops for z moves will be configured at the post processor level and it sounds like you have that part in hand.

I think with v26 and your package level that zlevel finish is indeed the feature to use....

there are other ways, but more "manual"...

Anyway.