586,058 active members*
4,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > axis lubrication parameters

axis lubrication parameters

hello anyone has idea what 8, 9 & 11 do ? explanation from manuals ( osp300L ) :

8 & 9 : Set the ON / OFF time for the XS-axis (cam shaft) lubrication motor.
    11 : explanation missing

what chamshaft ? should i check the engine ? kindly !
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: axis lubrication parameters

You probably don't have a cam turning machine, but if you did this parameter would be for the secondary cam turning axis.

You should check #3 on this page in order to reduce the amount of lube you use. This will enable lubing the axis only when the axis are moving rather than all the time - even when parked and not running a program.

I'd also change #6 so that you could go up to 4 hours without firing the lube pump.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Hello mr Wizard

You probably don't have a cam turning machine, but if you did this parameter would be for the secondary cam turning axis
    no, i don't ; so, on such a machine, there are 2 axis for X ? normal + cam ? nice ... i heard that the cam one is much more lubrefieted than a normal one, maybe also materials are better

aaa, and this axis is called XS because X is syncro with the S axis ... now it makes sense

probably there is a faster C ? i would like such a machine and such parts ... well, i will see you have one ? is it ok ?

You should check #3 on this page in order to ... I'd also change #6 so that you could go up to 4 hours without firing the lube pump.
    you are right ; these are good recomandations ... when i post this thread i was looking for a way to reduce lube oil consumption, and i played a bit with those parameters

also i found this :http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...n%20-%20Multus

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    My preferences:
    Axis move check box ON - no reason to lube when not moving.
    Lube for 60 seconds - to let metering blocks and system pressurize.
    OFF for 5 minutes - lube will still be spreading out during this time.
    Lube off max time 4 hours - 2x per shift should be plenty when idling.
    Lube 2x at power on - in case it's been a while since it's been under power.
    after reading this " to let metering blocks and system pressurize " i admit that i have no clue what it means exactly, because i do not know how the machine looks on the inside, so i decided to check if oil is actually coming on the guide lines ... and i found a problem on a lathe :

as shown on atached image, there was oil coming only on the chamfer ( blue line ), and nothing where it should (surface marked with red was dry ) ... i remove that plastic protection ( the one marked with yellow ), clean it, and put it back on ... so, i got oil on the red marked surface

i don't like this ... the plastic part :
    ... must clean the chips in front, so nothing gets under the guide lines, so it must create a bit of friction when turret moves
    ... delivers oil from the other side, and so, it must be a bit weakened, otherwise, there will be no oil where it should
    (*) this functions are controversial : rigidity vs flexibility; Okuma solved it : on the back of the plastic part, there is a small taper ( marked with green )

this is a design issue ... oil gets behind the plastic cover, but after, it do not always get on the guide line

i will be back with info about this ...

PS : my settings:
    #1 ON : 24seconds
    #2 OFF : 5min
    #3 axis move : checked
    #4 lube 4 times at power on
    #10 lube level monitor timer : 30 minutes ( not so important ; i think also 60 is ok)

#1 is enough @ this moment; issue is getting arround the plastic part
    #4 60 seconds is enough when machine starts ( or emergency stop & back on )
    #6 i did not change it ..1-4 hours is ok ... maybe @ 4hours that pump gets bored, but also, if you start up a lathe and it won't work for 1..4 hours, than why did you started it ?

after changing lube parameters, i also verified if there is enough oil coming out

when pump gets on ( not after power on, but after emergency stop + back), there is instant oil on the right side ( image 1 ) ... debit/flow is greater on the right side

i just assume that the quantity on the left side is enough; but how to be sure ?

there is that taper in image 2, that creates space for the oil, so when turret goes down, there is oil at it's base; is this behaviour enough ?

when that space gots full with oil, than it leaks out ... sometimes it leaks directly on the surface that needs to be lubrefieted ( maked with red in the image located at previous post ) or it goes on the taper ( maked with blue in the same image )

so, when it leaks out on the red surface, it can be seen that there is oil ... does this mean more safety ? should oil be seen when pumps works ?

if human factor is eliminated, than are there internal senzors that can be trust ? kindly !

ps : i instruct the operators to verify every morning if there is oil ... after machine starts, wait 1 minute for the pump, and after drop down the turret and back up ... oil should be seen ... but maybe this oil left from the previous shift ? so this procedure is useless ?

i have attached images > how the guide line looks after this procedure : move turret from X+ to X-, than X+ to ~10+X-,than X+ to ~20+X- ... so it can be seen that "oil ladder"

machines are relatively new, and my dealer said that :
    ...if some racord fails, than senzors will raise an error because presure does not increase
    ...if something gets stuffed, than senzors will raise an error because presure is too high

everything is ok now, but i just hope that i wont get into a situation like " something fails without an error " ... maybe in 2-3 ..5 years?

is there a way to inspect and mantain this lube system ? so to be safe ?

Hello why does a lathe lubrefiates every ~5 minutes, for ~30seconds, while the mill triggers an alarm at every 50 hours ? why is this difference so big ? kindly !