586,119 active members*
3,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Need some advices on lathe/mill options

Hi, so what I want to do is make small R/C car parts and IC engines (i think at first). Ideally my goal is to make a car(long term).

Maybe a working area of 300 x 200 x 150 would be great at first. There are other things I think I might want to mill so I don't want to necessarily limit the size to super tiny.

Materials I would want to mill are: plastic, wood, alu, brass, and maybe even titanium and magnesium. I know it takes a lot to mill the last 2. And probably out of my price range anyway.

So, one of my concerns is sound. I live in an apartment, and noise is an issue. I do have a room in the basement with power where I will install it. I'm not really sure how loud these things are.

Has anybody built a cover with wood and that egg crate foam to reduce the noise? I guess which would work when I convert to cnc. Haha. I could make one of those things like a bead blasting enclosure. With the gloves that go inside and a window.

Re: Need some advices on lathe/mill options

Oh, a couple of other things, I was initially thinking of the taig mill/lathe but am not sure.

Also I live in Germany so any suggestions should be available in Europe.

Thanks again for any input.

The Taig mill is that big in X and Z, but a little smaller in Y. But if you can live with that, it's a good choice for the materials you want to cut. In Europe there are some restrictions on imported electronics (no solder with lead in it, even though it works better than straight tin) so you'd probably do best by importing the mill (and lathe) as CNC-ready, and adding a controller and motors yourself. I can ship the machines themselves into Europe without problems; it's the electronics that sometimes get hung up in Customs.

The sound of machining varies with the material being cut, but it can get pretty loud. It's not the machine itself, which is pretty quiet, but the sound of the bit chewing at the metal. You can listen to some Youtube videos to get an idea of it. If you're doing it in an apartment, I'd definitely advise building enclosures for the machines, which will help contain the chips as well as muffle the noise. If you search on this site you can see a good range of enclosures people have built.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

There is a guy named peatol that sells them from the UK(the taig stuff). I've listened to some youtube stuff, but it's hard to say how much the microphone is auto-reducing. I did see a guy with a DIY machine working with acrylic and he was wearing big ear muffs. It seemed super loud.

does anybody here do any sound deadening?

Hi we Do milling machines and Build Them in Austria in middle of Europe yesterday we did some Videos where wie also Point Out the Not Noise. But they Are Raw Look https://youtu.be/WFML8uckSEQ if you have questions drop us a Note Thojomech.com

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

That looks like a nice machine.

How loud is int in DB when milling aluminium? Wood?

I found a video on your channel but it's super quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLF3DFsaGk

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdtMirZKaqg

That doesn't sound too loud, but it's hard to tell. That's why specific DB measurement would be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNgVRvaSfwo

That one seemed very loud.

Hi
    writing on the pad sucks sorry
    so it is not an issue to do you an part
    if you tell me what kind of pieces you intend to do maybe my next deep cut piece is the cover of the 4th axis looking like this Attachment 329300
    i would do an video showing the cutting process and i can do an Go Pro Camera on my Conrad Voltcraft MT-52 which can do DB )
    so tell me which kind of miller and speed you want to see and where you like to have the DB meter it will be wet and of course some noise but i recommend to measure outside in front of the machine the noise (my R&D machine is in an even floor "basement" where the living room is just above the machine )

if that is ok For you filming will be fr Or sa or sunday
    Thomas

TO be honest, I have very little idea about this stuff... what would be good would be a worse case scenario? But I appreciate the offer, that would be pretty cool.

Hi,
    ok granted. So i will do the tools how i think it should be best machined. (but because different machinist have different opinions that is why i asked. )
    i will use different toolholder IN SK30
    so it will be pre drilling for the holes the drill for the gear (Kernlochbohrung ) and then a roughing mill and then cleaning if necessary.
    I use Bobcad for doing my G Code where i use the speed cut option

i intend to use one of my tripods to measure the noise next to the machine so i will simulate noise level standing in front
    (we could do inside the machine as well but this might not be what you are interested for )
    best reg thomas
    When i see my schedule i do that saturday or sunday (in austria you are not allowed to make noise in an living area on sunday ,... )

Be sure to get the right sort of foam. You want open cell foam, this will work much better than closed cell.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Hi,

When i see my schedule i do that saturday or sunday (in austria you are not allowed to make noise in an living area on sunday ,... )
    Thanks a lot, that will be really awesome.

sajurcaju - are there any good posts here about making an enclosure or reducing the noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxa8HH3t_Ds

I found that. But at first I wont use cnc.

There must be pages out there discussing sound deadening enclosures, but I don't have any bookmarked.

The key thing (besides open cell) you already know--maximize the surface area to maximize sound absorption. For CNC you probably want to add "make it easy to clean", maybe more than one side opens?
    At university we had problems with the room above us being very noise sensitive. We bought some open cell foam--18' for a 12' ceiling length, and stapled it up with strips in big loops UUUUU. The could no longer hear anything, including rock music at high levels.

Steve

We have Full enclosure where wie adress that cleaning issue you Can easily Open 3 sides

Quote Originally Posted by basemonkey View Post
    Hi, so what I want to do is make small R/C car parts and IC engines (i think at first). Ideally my goal is to make a car(long term).

Maybe a working area of 300 x 200 x 150 would be great at first. There are other things I think I might want to mill so I don't want to necessarily limit the size to super tiny.

Materials I would want to mill are: plastic, wood, alu, brass, and maybe even titanium and magnesium. I know it takes a lot to mill the last 2. And probably out of my price range anyway.

So, one of my concerns is sound. I live in an apartment, and noise is an issue. I do have a room in the basement with power where I will install it. I'm not really sure how loud these things are.

Has anybody built a cover with wood and that egg crate foam to reduce the noise? I guess which would work when I convert to cnc. Haha. I could make one of those things like a bead blasting enclosure. With the gloves that go inside and a window.
    ...with those plans, I would not like to have you as neighbor. Sorry. Also, I would ask the landlord first, or check for rules in the building. What you plan for is classified as industrial activity, demanding not only electrical power, but also proper ventilation and handling of chemicals. Depending on where you live, this may or may not be allowed. After all, you can't really keep it a secret because there will be noise and smell. ...and by noise, I mean NOISE... a lot of loud noise. But noise is just one part of the equation, chemicals, fire safety, smell and what not... all that must be considered, and once you have done that, you will realize that it is not a hobby activity for apartment. Even in the basement you must have some regulations.

Of course, if you don't care about any rules or your neighbors than you can do as you like, but since you asked, I think you care. Remember that the person living next door can make your life a hell as well... and I guess they will not be happy once they start hearing your machine or smelling the fumes. So if I lived in an apartment, I'd look for another hobby, or would consider renting a space in an industrial environment where it is OK to run these machines.

A_Camera you are right
    in my case i do r& d in the basement where always an working facility ( glas maker ) has been. (i am in the old storage of the glass shop )
    So i asked the owner and make sure everything is as quiet as possible
    Doing r&d in my case is ok so the loudest part is the compressor sometimes if steel swings it gets also loud.
    But in austria you can make noise like renovating your flat till 22 pm ! But not every day

important is to keep good relationship with your so rounding so asking and speaking is key
    thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    A_Camera you are right
    in my case i do r& d in the basement where always an working facility ( glas maker ) has been. (i am in the old storage of the glass shop )
    So i asked the owner and make sure everything is as quiet as possible
    Doing r&d in my case is ok so the loudest part is the compressor sometimes if steel swings it gets also loud.
    But in austria you can make noise like renovating your flat till 22 pm ! But not every day

important is to keep good relationship with your so rounding so asking and speaking is key
    thomas
    Renovating a flat, regardless of how disturbing, irritating and annoying it may be for your neighbors, has an end. Once you are done with your flat you are done and ready and everything is back to normal living. Having a CNC as a life time hobby has no end. Even if the usage hours is not 24/7, it is most probably used when everyone else is at home, enjoying family life, having dinner, a quiet conversation or watching TV or something else, in other words, when it is most disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by sajurcaju View Post
    There must be pages out there discussing sound deadening enclosures, but I don't have any bookmarked.

The key thing (besides open cell) you already know--maximize the surface area to maximize sound absorption. For CNC you probably want to add "make it easy to clean", maybe more than one side opens?
    At university we had problems with the room above us being very noise sensitive. We bought some open cell foam--18' for a 12' ceiling length, and stapled it up with strips in big loops UUUUU. The could no longer hear anything, including rock music at high levels.

Steve

Did you just cover the whole roof with foam? how thick was it?

another issue with sound proofing is the places in the basement are separated by a metal wall with lots of holes. so i will have to cover that up too.

We covered the whole ceiling. The room was maybe 12x12 feet, used foam 18x12 feet, 1" thick. Easier to do in a small enclosure.

Steve

I saw some other posts where the tormach was 87db or something. would a taigmill be similar?

Page 1 of 2 12