586,609 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Opinions on EBay Nema42 kit

Opinions on EBay Nema42 kit

Hi guys.

I'm considering converting my knee mill to CNC. I already have a 4X4 router and lathe that I've converted, both using G540's.

Here's a link to the mill.

I'll be using the knee as the Z axis. Already done plenty of reading about what's involved on that side, gas strut counter weights and the like. I'll be using 25mm ballscrews for all axis, larger for the knee if I can find one that doesn't break the bank.

I found this kit on ebay (My post title says Nema 42, it's 34. Brain fade) that looks like it'd fit the bill nicely. Only thought is that maybe those motors might be a bit over the top for the X and Y axis and that maybe I'd be better off with smaller motors that can get better rapids. I've read a few comments about big motors not being that great at speed. All axis will likely get some kind of belt reduction, 2:1, something like that.

I'm not concerned about huge rapids, the spindle is currently only good for about 2k RPM. It'll end up faster than that but probably only 5-6k.

I'd love some opinions on the kit I linked to, especially if anyone has any experience with that driver. It looks like a great price for three big motors, drivers and PSU's. On the flip side, I brought a cheap ebay kit for a laser X/Y stage that I built which used the god awful hy-div268n-5a drivers. Total junk, barely worked.

Re: Opinions on EBay Nema42 kit

I don't have any experience with the MA860H driver, but what reviews I see of it appear to be pretty positive. Assuming what they are supplying is actual the real deal and not a knock off, it's probably fine. Geckdrive would be the safer bet... and at that power level, you might start looking into servos instead... but other than that... Let us know how it works out.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)