586,116 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo Motor Recommendations

Servo Motor Recommendations

I'm looking for some recommendations for servo motors & drivers. Wanting to upgrade my Nema34 steppers on my CNC Router. I was looking at the Teknic ClearPath SD series but unfortunately my controller (CS Labs CSMIO-IP/S) doesn't supply enough step & direction output voltage for these units.

Would like to find something that has an auto-tune function. As I don't have much knowledge in tuning servo systems. My max budget is probably around $700 to $800 for each motor & driver set.

My CNC Router machine is 48" x 48" imported unit, since I purchased the machine earlier this year I have upgraded to the CSMIO-IP/S controller as well as my home sensors to IFM prox switches.

Thanks, Jon

Re: Servo Motor Recommendations

jon8949

Dmm would be a good choice, with the 16 Bit Encoder, you are getting much more, for your money, plus there is not anything that can match until you get into high end servo drives motors, which are expensive

DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER
    Mactec54

mactec54

Thanks I'll check them out. Do you have any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    jon8949

Dmm would be a good choice, with the 16 Bit Encoder, you are getting much more, for your money, plus there is not anything that can match until you get into high end servo drives motors, which are expensive

DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

jon8949
    Dan Mauch @ Camtronics has I believe turn key Stepper and Servo systems, I have one of his stepper systems and couldn't be More Happier. Search Camtronic's Bethell WA.

I sent an email with a few questions off to DMM Tech lets see how they respond.

CURVEDMTL - Thanks for the info. I have seen Camtronics page before. Unfortunately their servo setup is not quite what I'm looking for with the Gecko Drives. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8949 View Post
    mactec54

Thanks I'll check them out. Do you have any experience with them?
    Yes have used them for many years, from there very first series to there latest, there is nothing that gets close to what they have until you get up to like Yaskawa Etc.
    Mactec54

That's good. How easy are they to tune? I have zero experience tuning a servo.
    Yea I would love to go with Yaskawa but last I looked it was about $2k for Motor / Driver set.

That's good. How easy are they to tune? I have zero experience tuning a servo.
    Yea I would love to go with Yaskawa but last I looked it was about $2k for Motor / Driver set.
    I have used a lot of Yaskawa, but now only use Dmm servos drives, and Yaskawa VFD Drives, only because I have a large stock of them, there are many VFD Drives that do just as a good job

As for setup of the Dmm system is very easy, tuning you only need to get it close with the ( 3 ) main settings and there adapted control will do the rest, which like auto tuning but much better
    Mactec54

Roll your own with my kit and whatever motor / driver you like.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I have used a lot of Yaskawa, but now only use Dmm servos drives, and Yaskawa VFD Drives, only because I have a large stock of them, there are many VFD Drives that do just as a good job

As for setup of the Dmm system is very easy, tuning you only need to get it close with the ( 3 ) main settings and there adapted control will do the rest, which like auto tuning but much better
    Received some good info from DMM. Still looking at other options but they may be the route to go. I just need to find replacement timing pulley's, as my current ones are for .5" shaft dia.

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Roll your own with my kit and whatever motor / driver you like.
    James do you have a link to your kit?

Received some good info from DMM. Still looking at other options but they may be the route to go. I just need to find replacement timing pulley's, as my current ones are for .5" shaft dia.
    You usually bore them out to the size needed
    Mactec54

You usually bore them out to the size needed
    I thought of that just after I sent my last post.

Any tips for tuning the main settings?