587,047 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Other Tormach uses

Hello

I'm considering a Tormach and was wondering if it can be used for other materials (ie. stone, wood, etc.)

I realize that it would require alternate tooling but I just can't find anything on their site.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Best regards,
    David L.

I don't know about stone, but wood should be possible using a router on their spindle accessory mount. I've got the router and mount - just need the time to put it all together and try it out.

Mike

Hi,
    I have had my Tormach since last August. Mostly I machine Al for prototype molds, but I frequently attach a diamond saw and slice ceramic composite materials. With the Al, I use a non-misting sprayer (Fog-Buster) for coolant that works very well. So far, the ceramic slicing has worked fine with the spray coolant on the cutting zone and a shop vac sucking up the dust, but heaver use should probably use flood coolant.

Stone should cut just fine on a Tormach with the proper tools (probably diamond) and enough coolant. Keep the coolant flowing to cool the diamond as well as flush the very abrasive "dust" that comes off the cut.

The rigidity of the machine is plenty for stone cutting.

Also, since my machine is in my garage, I have used it to cut wood for a few "extra" jobs. While it cuts great, I am not sure its speed (both spindle or table motion) is high enough for economical use in a wood production environment.

John
    MultiPhase Composites, LLC
    Longmont Co