586,071 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Troubleshooting Gecko G320x

Troubleshooting Gecko G320x

Hey folks

I'm working on a cnc conversion using gecko 320x's and have run into a problem.

Going through the helpful starting up steps, I've reached connecting the motor, the servo at this point will only rotate counter clockwise, about 1/20th or so of a turn at a time, it doesn't respond at all to manually turning the servo (nor does it seem to be resisting being turned) the gecko 320x just reads solid fault.

Backing up, I've gone through the encoder tests once again and it passed, its passed all the previous tests.
    Reading through the manual again, the fault conditions don't seem to be relevant, the only one which "could" be possible is the motor is pulling too much startup current but with it not installed on anything and connected to a 20a power supply that doesn't seem likely either.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Re: Troubleshooting Gecko G320x

Try swapping CH_A and CH_B on the inputs to the G320X. This sounds like the drive is expecting an opposite line edge and is going into FAULT mode when it sees the inverse. If that doesn't work we can move on from there, but this is the most likely case.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Yep, I switched the motor leads last time, but apparently the encoders did it, my x and y are now moving properly

I was trying to use a stepper for the Z, but I can't get this driver to spin it, Homann MB02 breakout dm860a stepper driver I've tried wiring the positive and negative sides together as per the manuals, the thing will lock into place but not obey mach3 or seemingly accept any signal, i've gone as far as tryed another breakout board that I had laying around and wired it the same way to take the variety of homann options out of the loop, no dice, it just locks in place "as it should" whenever I apply power, unless the en- is connected in that case it spins freely, which appears to be correct.

Manuals:
    Breakout: (again have tried a featureless breakout too) http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/MB..._Manual_R3.pdf
    Driver: https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...0;attach=37261

To be clear i've tried:
    -tie Dir+ Step+ and Enb+ together with a +5v from the breakout, run the en/step- to the breakout pins
    And then the reverse with the negs tied together and the breakout pins connected to the en/step +'s

On both configurations i've toggled dir/step lowactive in every combination, also tried different pins, and checked with a voltometer the wire connections to verify they are tied down correctly.

I don't know, I'm thinking this may be a bad driver, I appreciate the help though!

Interesting update!
    In my research, I downloaded this program: Geek Hideout --> Parallel Port Monitor

To verify my parallel ports were working

Now somehow I must have clicked on something, the breakout boards input lights were all on, and the stepper motor spun constantly in one direction
    So I believe wiring is possibly correct. but maybe I'm sending the wrong strength or length pulses?

//edit yes, screwing around with this again, sending a signal to pin 6 causes the stepper to turn, but mach3 can't manage it, ive tried 0-5 in the motor timings screen for pulse and the stepper doesn't budge