586,108 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: FeatureCam

Page 1 of 5 123

FeatureCam

Hello,

I have been a FeatureCam user since the beginning, under the Bridgeport umbrella. Would like to find other FeatureCam users to exchange tricks and or secrets pertaining to FeatureCam. I'm open to talk from 2 axis to 5 axis and everything in between.

Thanks for looking!

Skillet

Hi Skillet,

This seems to be a little used section in this forum, not many of us FeatureCam users here. I have been using it since V2 or 3, now we haven’t upgraded past V7. I use it for 3 axis mills and also some FeatureTurn for lathes. Welcome to the forum.

Gary

Gary,

I'm up to V10 (2004), and they have made some nice changes since 7 came out. I also see that not many folks in here are using it. I don't know if it is because of the expense or if some of these other systems are better. I use EZ CAM a good bit,too. What type of work are you doing?

Skillet

Skillet,

I do repair parts and tooling for a major airline. Many of the parts are similar but never identical, so everything is costume. I usually have blanks made up and I work with engineering to decide on the needed changes. They always want the parts before I start, so time is a big factor. Without FC and cnc it couldn’t be done. I do a little 3D, but mostly 2 ½ D. I also have an EZPath lathe and a PowerPath turning center. The PowerPath mostly sits idle, I use it for bushings. It’s a pretty impressive shop for 2 people, everything was new 7 years ago. I’m an old school tool maker that made the leap into the world of computers.

The thing I like about FeatureCam is that I very rarely make it crash and it seems to be able to do anything I ask it to. The simulation has save me from major mistakes many times. If I get it wrong the first time, on the machine, I’m late. I’ve been to classes with EGS and always amazed at the diversity of the people using it.

So what about you?

Gary

I work at the local university in high energy physics, so our work is also ones and twos. We pretty much work for universities around the country and all the big accelarator labs. It is cool work but sometimes very hectic. We have a couple of Fadals and a Bridgeport EZ-TRAK, and I have a new ROMI M27 lathe with the Fanuc 21 controller. Basically, the same thing as your path lathe.
    I started programming with EZ-Cam and later switched to FeatureCam. I use both of them still, but I find that FeatureCam is better suited to the machines, especially with 4th and 5th axis stuff. When I get a chance, I'll send you a link to our web page. If you have a few minutes to look it might have some interesting stuff for you.

Later,

Skillet

Sorry it has taken so long to get back here. We have been covered up with stuff from everywhere. Anyway, I told you I would send you a link to my shop. I hope this will work.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/physics...ties/shop.html

We need to update our page, but it might be interesting. I talked with the folks at EGS this week and it looks like they will release a new version of FeatureCam this summer. I think they are moving more toward Swiss turn machines, which will be something new for them.

Skillet

Hi Skillet,

LOL!!! Your shop is so much similar to mine I think you could take my place without missing a beat. I might take a little longer to get up to speed at yours. I have been lobbying hard to get our software upgraded. Part of the problem is, though our 7 year old shop is like new, the PC with Win 98 OS needs to be replaced along with the software. We are still under a very strict budget. For 2 1/2D and 3D work I have yet to find anything that V7 couldn’t do.

Gary

You are right! V 7 is still capable to handle most 3D stuff. I do a good bit of surfacing, and went out to Salt Lake last year for training on 3D modeling. But if you aren't doing 4th and/or 5th, V7 is great. I really liked that version! Then they started to break into Feature Recognition and a more Modeled look, kind of like Pro_E and Catia. That is really cool stuff, but if you are not importing those type files, it won't matter. I have been very happy with the support EGS offers. I don't know if you ever need help, but they have a superb staff. I talk to them so much, they know me when they answer the line. I know they offer some kind of maintenance upgrade, that will bring you up to the current version and give you a year of unlimited phone support. Plus when you do that, they guarantee you they next version, free.
    Check it out!

Skillet

Hi guys,
    Did'nt want you two hogging this thread all to yourselves,
    just figured i'd stop in and say "HI"

PEACE

Thanks for looking in! We don't seem to be burning up a lot of new ground here, but nice to meet you. What end of the business world are you from?

Skillet

Hardmilling, hence the name and avatar,
    Pleasure to meet you guys.
    I've heard some good things about your software from an
    associate, myself i'm a Mastercam user and am always pleased
    to hear of others who are happy with their choice of software.
    Carry on with your discussion, and feel free to ask if you need
    anything.

PEACE

I hope everyone is well, as I have been busy as H*** lately. I'm so happy that one of my old buddies has found me in this forum. We go back quite a ways, and from totally different backgrounds. That goes to show how small our world is getting. I've been hoping to run into some other FeatureCam users here but it doesn't seem that popular here. I need to pick some other people's brains, so I can leave the EGS folks alone for awhile. I know I bug the heck out of them, but they are tough and they can handle it!

Skillet

Hi All !!!!!

Hello,
    Don't mean to but in on your conversation guys, it's just good to find some featurecam enthusiasts like myself. I have been using it since version 7 and am up to version 2005. I use it for 3&4 axis milling, along with turining. The software is so easy to use, just about anybody with common since can pick it up. My current employer is forcing me to learn Mastercam. It has a few things I like, but for the most part I dislike it. It does not present information in a logical way. Well, hope everyone has a nice day!!!!!

Dalen Mealer

What type of work are you doing? We use FeatureCam for most of our Mill and Lathe work. We also, use EZ-Cam and ESPRIT for our wire. I was hesitant about the Esprit because FeatureWire seemed so familiar. I don't know about MasterCam, but I'm sure it is good as well. Post a reply, later, and let me know how you like it.

Skillet

Hey how's it going? We do areospace work, production machining and high tolerance work. Or what I would call high tolerance...sometimes +/- .0001. I use Featurecam for milling and turning both. although I am be made to learn Mastercam. It's going pretty well with the changeover. i have to get used to the fact that Mastercam dosn't think like Featurecam. Mastercam seems better suited to 4TH & 5TH axis work. I'm just an ole dog having to learn new tricks.

Hi nice to meet you follow featurecam users.I just started to use ver 7 and find it so easy I'm now teaching my boss how to use it lol . We did have some hassle using the multi-setup but that was the Heidenhiem post processor and the lablel it uses thats sorted. So beware, all of you because i got a whole lotta questions that need answering lol.

Welcome laamar....good to have you here

Talking

Feature Cam ROCKS! I use it for Milling, Turning, Turn/Mill and Soon Wire. I have a shop at UMaine making ANYTHING, I have stuff going all over the world and some that is only local. Some Big (Up to 8 ft) and some small (.008 milling) but Feature cam has done everything I need. The 4th axis programing is fast too! I have finished an Ice core Drill with the 4th axis and as a one off it came out GREAT. I also Like how I can work from many formats! I get Pro E, Solid works, igs, Solide Edge. STL's....

SO if there is anything I can do to help, or I may be asking for some

Featurecam 4th axis

Hi everyone! I have used Featurecam at my last job but could never get it to do 4th axis wrapping. I found it produced angular and feed movements to 4 decimal places and the fanuc 6mb control it was used on would throw an error as it could only accept coordinates upto 3 decimal places? Maybe there is a way of bypassing this in the Fanuc control or altering the settings in featurecam. I never figured it out.

The post processor you use to post the code can be edited. There is a space to specify the how many places after the decimal. Read the M-build section in help.

gary

Page 1 of 5 123