586,102 active members*
2,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Springs

Springs

I have been trying to draw a spring for some time now and can't seem to figure it out. I searched this forum and came up with a few threads that got me further along, but the spring still isn't working the way I'd like it.

What I'm doing is clicking on curves and selecting helix/spiral. I then select a plane to draw a circle to the diameter of the spring (centerline to centerline of the coils) in hopes of creating a .250" diameter coil along this "path" (ex. .250" dia. coil with an overall dia. of 1.250"). I am then setting the length by setting the heigth and number of revolutions. When complete I have a skelton of what the spring will be. So far so good.

Where it goes wrong is the next step. I click on sweep boss/base and then select a profile (I use the sketch of the helix I drew). I then select a path, and choose the end of the helix. I then choose twist along path with normal constant and defined by degrees. When I click finished it gives me a spring like object. It is really just a circle that spirals down which leaves me a diameter larger than I want and it also doesn't leave a hole down the center.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone, but and help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Mike, I'm not sure of what you know so I'll try to go through it step by step. I appologize if I'm sounding terse.

-Sketch a circle on the front plane 1.125" in diameter.
    -Insert->Curve->Helix/Spiral.
    -Select revolutions, pitch, etc.
    -Change the start angle to 90 degrees. Select Okay.
    -This should produce a helix line that starts on the front plane and goes to the length of your spring. The start of this helix should also intersect the Right Plane.
    -Select the right plane, hit spacebar, Normal To, and draw a circle at the end point .25" in diameter. Close the sketch.
    -Insert->Boss/Base->Sweep.
    -Click in the Profile Box, then click on the .25" circle sketch.
    -Click in the Path Box, then click the helix.
    -A yellow, semi-transparent preview of your spring should be generated. Click okay.
    -If you're making a compression spring, you'll have to do some additional sketches/sweeps to get the termination.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

-Matt

Once you have created the helix you need to create a plane on the end tip of the helix.
    Plane: Pick End Tip: Pick the Helix.
    Then draw the coil profile on this plane.

Matt,
    Thanks for the info!! I will give it a shot at work tomarrow and let you know how it goes.

My knowledge of Solidworks is limitied. I took a college course, but they didn't go into great detail in any one subject. For that you were on your own. I actually found Solidedge to be easier to work with. BTW, it is Solidworks 2005 and Solidedge version 19 (?) I believe.....

Thanks again, Mike

Thank you both for your help!!! Got it right on the first try.

Mike

Here are some Sample Springs

Here are some different types of springs done in solidworks good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can also download solidworks models of springs (and many other things) from many different websites. ie:
    www.3dcontentcentral.com
    www.partserver.com
    www.misumiusa.com
    www.carrlane.com
    www.leespring.com

All of these websites have very nice models of their products. Some of
    them download as a SW part (*.sldprt), Others may be zipped or downloaded
    as a macro.

Jeff