Hi members,

I need help setting up my motors
A Little background:
I built my machine a few years ago and I have been using it once in a while (I wish I had more time to play with it)
I'm running mach3 and vectric
Occasionally I miss steps and I think that I'm not getting the power that I should from 3 large 1200 oz steppers, I would think that a machine with such large motors should be very powerful and the missed steps seem to be caused by week motion (or that's what I think at least as if I even try to stop it with a finger it will miss steps) the machine is large to accommodate a full 4' x 8' sheet of material, I used it last yesterday pocketing thru soft mdf and it missed steps.

gantry moves freely and x axys as well, machine is well balanced and very precise in terms of motion

These are the electronic components:

C10 Break out board
3 KL34H2120-60-4A, 1200 oz-in motors step angle 1.8 deg 6 amps
KL-9082 stepper driver, 90VDC, 9.2A
KL- 7220 72V/20A 72VDC power supply

my question is in terms of resolution settings
the stepper driver has the following dip switch settings and it reads something like this:

microstep resolution is specified by 5,6,7,8,dip switches

Steps/rev. (for 1.8deg motor)

what should I go for in terms of resolution?, I know after making changes I need to re-set up mach 3 etc that is no problem
any of the above settings better or recommended in terms of avoiding missing steps for more power?
I'm willing to lose speed if that is a trade off as my machine as is, is capable of moving faster than I ever would need to as I have to crank it down to avoid missing steps.
motion is done with 1" wide toothed belts, motors have 2" gears and drive pulleys that are the same size so it is geared 1:1, so asume direct drive

Movement is somehow jerky also and I'm thinking that it may be caused by the same wrong settings
thank you for any help in advance.

Steve