586,312 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New 770 owner looking at Modular Fixturing

New 770 owner looking at Modular Fixturing

Hi All!
    Recently purchased a Tormach 770 mill and I see the Tosa Tool Modular Fixturing plates. Does anyone have any experience with these? Give some advice? I found these plates TT1226ei Economy Import Modular Tooling Plate QC FAIL
    and they look good for MUCH less than regular priced plates. I am a newbie so any advice is appreciated, THANKS!

Re: New 770 owner looking at Modular Fixturing

Those "inexpensive" Tosa tooling plates were made in China and failed to meet spec so you will probably get no guarantee from Tosa on them and should be prepared to re-size holes yourself. Tosa has discussed them a bit on the Yahoo Tormach group so you might want to check there before committing:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tormach1100/info

A year or so back he had a 25% off sale at year end on his standard made-in-USA plates so you might want to wait until then if you don't want to re-work what you buy.

Re: New 770 owner looking at Modular Fixturing

Thanks, but still...I can get one of these and bush the 25 holes I want to use for locating all the time and still have all the great locations for clamping. I am building fixtures for shuttling (just change fixtures fast and press start kind of thing.) and this plate is perfect for that. Add the clampset and my job is complete. I was looking at the 6061 plates but these are way tougher. So much more than 25% off as well. Talked to Dan at Tosa Tool and he has some great ideas for reducing cycletimes with the Modular plates as well. Interesting concept.