586,117 active members*
3,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Mach3/ESS/Yaskawa servo - under construction
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: Mach3/ESS/Yaskawa servo - under construction

Just another note I'm (Not) using a BOB, probably not the safest thing to do but if you make sure all your inputs to the Ess switch to ground there should not be a problem . I have not had a great deal of success with BOB's especially when you/r using high pulse rates well the one's i brought anyhow .
    I check every pulse from every point & port with my oscilloscope to make sure they don't exceed 5V before I connect them.
    I have 5mm pitch ball screws with a 1:1 belt drive step pulse on each axis is 1638.4
    I have attached the port layout that I use on box that houses my ESS all RJ45 connections.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ess RJ45 Layout.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	348094

squirrel,
    Yup, not the safest thing. The new MB2 BOB for the ESS is a nice board that can support 4MHz rates. I just got one about a month ago, a very nice board.

MB2 ESS ethernet smooth stepper BOB breakout out board [MB2]

Russ

Just a thought,
    I set up my Yaskawa cabling about 4 years ago and haven't thought much about it since .
    Because of this thread I thought I would revisit the Yaskawa Manual it seems I might be over driving the ports a bit I just re-read the ESS docs and the outputs can sink 24ma the Yaskawa drive should only sink 15ma max so I think I will add some resistors to fix this and retest the drives they work flawlessly at the moment.

Another point as you know the output from the encoder's is quadrature so it is my understanding that the value in Mach3 MPG's should equal the encoder in this case 2048 X 4 = 8192, however I set my Mach3 value the same as my pulse rate 1638.4 and the reading from the encoder matches Mach3 Dro's .

As I said I use only 2 lines AB phase from the drive without a line driver or making them single ended.

One more thing I would NOT recommend to anyone to follow my steps and not use a BOB this could cost you your new ESS very quickly (flame2)

Found this thread today and was quite excited to see someone actually was able to use Yaskawa drives. I have a pair of SGMJV motors and SGDV 1R6A11A drives but in reading I believe you used a model that can be controlled with analog signals via CN1. No such luck on my drives. It's frustrating that my PC can control them just fine using SigmaWinPlus via USB but there seems no other way for my PC to talk to them. If the PC won't talk then Mach4 won't talk. I am a pretty good "C" programmer but without interface information I am stuck.

Hello there,
    Been a long time since I last visit CNCzone, your reply-to-thread was delivered via mail.

My drives use digital pulses only, no analog type as far as I remember. Analog/digital combo was probably enabled with Sigma5 - honestly I don't remember.

BTW, I quickly looked up a pdf file from internet, your model is unfortunately for mechatrolink-II controls, not analog/puls.dir.
    This actually is where most error happens. When looking up in eBay, cheap drives are those mechatrolink types.

And I have to mention this too that the situation is same to Mitsubishi and Panasonic.
    They do have drives for PLC stuffs which are a lot cheaper in used market due very low needs. They are for factory automations.
    You need extreme care when purchasing servo drives.

I will attach a link to user manual, page 1-21 explains detailed info about model variations.
    Wish you a good luck.

Kevin

SGDV-1R6A11A PDF datasheet (datasheet) - Yaskawa

Thank you Kevin!

Page 4 of 4 234