586,674 active members*
2,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > New to this, is this what its supposed to look like?

New to this, is this what its supposed to look like?

Greetings everyone, I recently was asked by a good friend to help him get his Dynatorch XLS plasma table setup and running. He had jobs he already took and needs them out asap. Being his tech guy i took a stab at it. The results were ok for being so new but there is so much i need to learn.
    Im not impressed atm. I am running 85A onto 1.4" steel plate. Here are my results. I have so many issues im about to pull my hair out.

Not sure its supposed to look like. I wish there was an old timer locally but in my tiny town in the desert there arnt many people who know this stuff.
    Some times the machine stops and wont complete a letter. I have to run it more then once some times 3 times to get it to work before it automaticly dives the torch into the surface and stops the process. I feel like im letting my friend down because the machine isnt set up just right and im missing some basics to get the job done fast and correctly.

Steve

Re: New to this, is this what its supposed to look like?

Hypertherm will tell you that you don't cut 1.4 on 85 amp.
    Not supposed to cut that until you get into 125 amp.
    I cut 1.25 plate very nice with my 105amp unit but I always edge start (pre-drill start locations) because the blowback from piercing screws the nozzle almost instantly.
    I suggest you follow Hypertherms cut chart recomendations (after you replace the consumables) and then lets take a look at the quality and fine tune from there

Here is 1.25 drop from my machine

Attachment 332076
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Brand new machine with less then 30 minutes of run time. Do i need new consumables already? I am trying to use the numbers from the cutting charts. The issue i run into is that the tip will hit the slag on the top of the part and stop the process over and over and over so i have to raise the head up(per dynatorch). I also have a ton of slag on the bottom but i will work that issue later.

Perhaps there is some setup i need to do after assembly? leveling the table or aligning it or something?

I also have issues with repeating cutting. If i have a part i want to cut multiple times... I print the first part. If it comes out like i want i align the machine to the next 2 bottom corners and click the "make it fit" like dynatorch showed me. I click highest point and lowest point and they are clearly not on the same place as the first cut. If i turn off the lightening bolt / plasma and tell it to do a test run it is printing 3" lower and mostly off the new metal. I check the alignment and it is correct. The machine home at 0,0 the laser point on the top left corner. Then the bottom left corner. I can close the program and reopen the same file and it will give me different results. I found that if i resave the sheetcam into a different file and reopen i get the original results. Im pulling out whats left of my hair. Heck i just ruined a $400 plate of steal becuase i told the program to re run a letter ( DIDNT MOVE THE SHEET) and it burned the letter inches lower then the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Prinler View Post
    Brand new machine with less then 30 minutes of run time. Do i need new consumables already?
    Yes because you were piercing that thick plate and it blew back into the shield (likely just the shield will have clogged air holes)

I am trying to use the numbers from the cutting charts.
    I am sorry, if you are using the chart 1.4inch steel is nowhere near it for 85 amp

The issue i run into is that the tip will hit the slag on the top of the part and stop the process over and over and over so i have to raise the head up(per dynatorch). I also have a ton of slag on the bottom but i will work that issue later.
    There will be no slag on the top of the part if you do not try to pierce material that is too thick and run at the correct cut height - none at all.
    85 amp is listed at 3/4 max for pierce. It will get a little slag at pierce so be sure to use a lead in then the torch head never comes near the slag pile again.
    When the chart says edge start - it means it. You have found out that you CAN pierce even though it says not too, but are you happy with the outcome? This conversation says no to me.

Perhaps there is some setup i need to do after assembly? leveling the table or aligning it or something?
    Yes the machine needs squared and leveled for it to work the best it can, but this is not part of the symptoms you describe.

I also have issues with repeating cutting. If i have a part i want to cut multiple times... I print the first part. If it comes out like i want i align the machine to the next 2 bottom corners and click the "make it fit" like dynatorch showed me. I click highest point and lowest point and they are clearly not on the same place as the first cut. If i turn off the lightening bolt / plasma and tell it to do a test run it is printing 3" lower and mostly off the new metal. I check the alignment and it is correct. The machine home at 0,0 the laser point on the top left corner. Then the bottom left corner. I can close the program and reopen the same file and it will give me different results. I found that if i resave the sheetcam into a different file and reopen i get the original results. Im pulling out whats left of my hair. Heck i just ruined a $400 plate of steal becuase i told the program to re run a letter ( DIDNT MOVE THE SHEET) and it burned the letter inches lower then the original.
    It sounds like your driver software is a newer version than mine. It also sounds like you need some training on it. DynaTorch tech support is FREE call - them
    There are idiosyncrasy' and a learning curve with all software, you will get it bud

Oh man, I don't know where 1.4" came from. The thickest I will cut is 3/4". Sorry for the confusion.

In the photos that's 1/4" running at the exact settings it called for in the cutting sheet.

My scrap that I first used on my first 2 cuts were 3/4" 12x8 do you think your comment still applies? Inspect my consumables for damage and replace, try again?

Too much heat.
    Set up at the lowest amperage that will do the cut for best results
    cut 1/4 MS at 45amp
    The machine never gets up to speed at high amp and you are burning the crap out of it

. Heck i just ruined a $400 plate of steal becuase i told the program to re run a letter ( DIDNT MOVE THE SHEET) and it burned the letter inches lower then the original.
    You are chasing multiple problems.
    1. start diagnosing movement problems with cheap material ,say 1/8" rusty plate. Not much money lost with experimenting.
    2. Then when you have the machine motion down pat, test on same thickness (1.4"), but with scraps.

As DareBee said I would not be cutting 1/4" plate at 85 amps. The cut clarity is pretty poor at 85 amps. I cut a lot of 1/4" plate and I have found that 65 amps is the sweet spot with my Powermax 85. I actually prefer to cut 1/4" over any other material.

- - - Updated - - -

Also make sure you are using the correct nozzle for the amperage setting.