586,104 active members*
3,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > Accuracy report on my Harbor Freight Sieg X3

Talking Accuracy report on my Harbor Freight Sieg X3

After building a bench and lifting the mill onto it, I got to
    accuracy measurements today.

A) .0001 (tens) indicator, mag mounted to table, against exterior of spindle

NO READING. 0 . Yes, I quad-checked I had contact and no stuck
    indicator

B) .0005 (5 tens) indicator, mounted in the spindle, lowered for the contact point to contact table. Eliminated cosine err as much as I could. Full motion in X.

NO READING. 0 . Yes, I quad-checked I had contact and no stuck
    indicator . Didn't do Y .

C) same, mounted in the spindle, ~6" sweep of the table. I could not lower
    the indicator for the contact to touch the table, so I used 123 block on the
    table ($5 variety). I got may be .0002 (2 tenths) needle motion, but I think it is the block .

Plowed through some 6061 with 3/4 4Fl EM, @ max rpm. It cuts to about .300
    DOC, full width. The motor clearly loads up, but the mill is rock solid. I think
    it can take 2HP (3Phase + VFD or straight DC, assuming you can find honestly-rated 2 HP DC motor for less than what I paid for the mill). I never hog metal like that anyway, but it is nice to test the limits.

I am in mill heaven ! Long live Harbor Freight and PROC.

Get a clue and learn how to machine!

Good for you rashid11. Hope it works out well for you. Sounds better than I would have thought.

RALLY Are you always so negative!

Now is that anyway to act!

Rashid, did you try that cut in low range? just curious if you'd be more productive. Also, a 2 flute and cutting oil would probably get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    RALLY Are you always so negative!

Now is that anyway to act!
    Well, I guess that was a I'm tired type of answer and not good but come on who takes .300 and boges the motor on a new mill (I wonder what names the spindle bearings was calling him).

Talking

rashid11, Sorry about that harch comment, but if you're really looking to check something use the machine for a few weeks then set up Indicators on both X and Y and see if the machine will repeat. If you know what that means!
    Here is a note on the side, Steppers will loose steps if they are being pushed to hard so I would suggest you take it easy on the plunges and up your feeds.
    PS: My Wife also thinks that I'm a smart Ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    ..but come on who takes .300 and boges the motor on a new mill (I wonder what names the spindle bearings was calling him).
    He said it "loads up" he never said it "boges", I think you were meaning Bogs. And I've never heard spindle bearings say anything? you need some sleep.

A 0.3 DOC in Aluminium with a 0.75" 4 Flute End Mill on a machine that is rated to take 1" end mills is not over doing anything. I calculated his cut to under 1hp or ~734Watts @ 0.002" per tooth/rpm, far from maxing the motor out, i'd do the same.

Ya what he said, go take a nap Rally :cheers:

I'm interested to know how much the final cost to you was over at harbor freight.

It seems Grizzly sells them for $1050 with shipping.

Did you use the harbor freight 20% off coupon? I am really in need of one, so If anybody has it and isn't going to use it, could you send me a PM please?

-Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by higgrobot View Post
    He said it "loads up" he never said it "boges", I think you were meaning Bogs. And I've never heard spindle bearings say anything? you need some sleep.

A 0.3 DOC in Aluminium with a 0.75" 4 Flute End Mill on a machine that is rated to take 1" end mills is not over doing anything. I calculated his cut to under 1hp or ~734Watts @ 0.002" per tooth/rpm, far from maxing the motor out, i'd do the same.
    I bet you need a Calculator to find your way to the grocery store!

Those #'s are very consistent compared to what I found with my X3.
    A .3" cut should be just fine. With 6 flute 1" rougher, I can take .25" off at a pass without bogging the motor down. No chatter either

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    I bet you need a Calculator to find your way to the grocery store!
    Grumpy, I calculated you didn't get enough sleep again!

20% coupon

www.superx3.com in the forum section. If that doesn't work I can send you a picture of the 20%. They only work in the retail stores.

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninhil View Post
    I'm interested to know how much the final cost to you was over at harbor freight.

It seems Grizzly sells them for $1050 with shipping.

Did you use the harbor freight 20% off coupon? I am really in need of one, so If anybody has it and isn't going to use it, could you send me a PM please?

-Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    www.superx3.com in the forum section. If that doesn't work I can send you a picture of the 20%. They only work in the retail stores.

Jay
    thanks alot!

also, I'll have to check out that site. never been to it before.

Good going. I would be interested in knowing what kind of post cutting accuracy your getting and its repeatability. Have you done any tests of the full range of travel on each axis to see if you have any backlash building up after multiple moves back and forth?

Bowman