586,035 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Want to buy CNC for woodworking. Please advise.

Want to buy CNC for woodworking. Please advise.

Hello,

I am requesting advise, but will provide some info first.

I want to buy a cnc router for woodworking. I have never owned or used (in any significant way) a cnc machine before. I already have Sketchup and Fusion 360 by Autodesk. I am looking for a small to medium sized, reliable, low cost machine. I have already made a few calls and done some research. I've considered X-carve (not really a serious consideration anymore), CNC Pirannha, CNC Shark, DigiRout (bad reviews!), blueChick, Zenbot, Automation Technology, Inc, etc. I will make additional phone calls Tuesday (after the holiday) during business hours.

Now, here are my preferences/requirements:

budget $2k - $4k including taxes, necessary software and shipping
    reasonably rigid machine (will initially be cutting pieces out of four quarter poplar stock)
    capacity of at least 18" in x axis and 24" in y axis
    decent customer support
    prefer lead screw or chain drive
    prefer machine with onboard software that is able to read file from USB (otherwise, I will need to include shop computer in budget)
    willing to assemble machine myself if all else is good (including reliable company with good customer support)

I would appreciate any advise/recommendations and will continue to do my own research. Thank you.

Chris

Re: Want to buy CNC for woodworking. Please advise.

Since you already have Fusion 360, you don't really need any additional CAD/CAM software.

reasonably rigid machine
    "reasonably rigid" is very subjective. Imo, the closest one I'd consider reasonably rigid might be a chinese machine from automation technologies.

decent customer support
    You're in a price range where you won't find a lot of support, as providing support can cost a lot of money.
    I think that Sharks have decent support, but they are way overpriced for what you get. Definitely not "Reasonably rigid"

prefer lead screw or chain drive
    Chain drive is not a viable option for a CNC router. The only machines that I know of that are using chain drive, are from buildyourcnc. And those machines are basic entry level machines with a midrange price tag. Not very rigid, and very slow.

prefer machine with onboard software that is able to read file from USB (otherwise, I will need to include shop computer in budget)
    This limits you to proprietary systems, mainly the Shark or chinese DSP controls. Most PC controls don't have this option.

The machines you've been looking at are entry level machines, and would all rank near the bottom of any list.
    I'd recommend 3 options. All with PC controls, and all near the top of your budget, or a bit higher.

1) XZero raptor.
    raptor

Probably the best bang for the buck, but with minimal support. $3700, and you'll need to supply a PC, control software/hardware, and wiring. But you'll have a 30"x36" machine that's far superior to the ones you've been looking at.

2) Fineline Saturn
    https://www.finelineautomation.com/p...er?taxon_id=54

Welded steel and linear bearings, but you'll need to provide motors/electronics, PC and control.

3) CNC Router Part benchtop
    Benchtop CNC Machine Kits | CNCRouterParts

Two different options. Both are kits. Excellent support. Again, you'll need to provide motors/electronics, PC and control.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Want to buy CNC for woodworking. Please advise.

DO A SEARCH FOR Jack Dong he is a rep I have bought my machine which was a 48x96 they have any machine to suit your needs, customer service is excellent Jack will make sure you get what you need, message me if you need more info