586,704 active members*
2,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thinning leather with mill?

Hi guys!

I have a quick question that I'd appreciate some input on!

I am working on a project that I want to have veneered partly with wood and leather, and want seamless transitions between them. The wood veneer I am using is 10 mil paperbacked walnut, which has a total thickness of .020". I am currently experimenting with vegetable-tanned leather. My problem is that I can't easily buy it that thin, and leather thickness isn't specified very precisely anyway.

I am currently trying to thin vegetable tanned leather using a bridgeport mill with .5" diameter 4 flute endmill making ~.010" passes, with the leather fixtured top-grain down to the rails using double stick tape.

I have been partly successful thinning the leather this way, but it always tears off the tape when it's still .02" or so too thick- rats! I have attached a picture of one of my attempts using a small piece, which detached the next pass.

Does anyone else have an idea of how to reach the thickness I want more successfully? Should I try a different tool, fixturing method, etc. or something totally different?

Thanks!
    Peter

Re: Thinning leather with mill?

Andrew Werby
    Website

Maybe try a few things to reduce the force on the workpiece. Smaller endmill, higher spindle speed, lower feedrate?

Thanks Andrew! I read through that link and saw a comment that upholstery shops often have skiving machines, so I'm checking around my area to see if someone has one and could thin my leather for me (since buying the whole machine seems a bit much for this stage).

Also thanks dharmic, I will experiment a bit more to see if there's a happy solution next time I'm in the lab!

I have a drum sander and usually stick what ever I want thinned to a piece of mdf ,I have in the past made one out of 2 inch nylon rod with a shaft tapped in one end .Then I put it in the drill press ,you could do the same thing in a lathe with a board under the spindle.