586,385 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Acme 1/2 VS Chinese Ballscrew

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the X (1000mm) and Y (600mm) axis lead screws on my hobby CNC.

Currently have a T8 lead screw. I put some preload on the nuts but still have some backlash. The T8 was ok at the beginning but I found a little bit small and fear that it'll wear fast.

I have looked two options 1/2 Acme 2TPI + anti backlash nut (CNCRP) or SFU1610 chinese ballscrew.

With shipping to Canada, both are around the same price

Normally the acme would be cheaper but with the anti backlash nut, bearing holder, shipping, customs, etc, the price goes up fast.

I know that the ballscrew would be better but I've heard some horror story with chinese vendor...

How the acme would compare to a chinese ballscrew? Any chinese vendor you guys know that are good?

Thanks

Re: Acme 1/2 VS Chinese Ballscrew

You pay for quality. I run Kerk leadscrews and their VHD series nuts on a few of my machines with great performance. They are more expensive than Chinese ball screws but are made for industry. Backlash on my system is around .0005", which is mostly coming from my support bearings. They have relatively large load ratings, don't require lubrication, much more resistant to dust, and are self compensating and maintain zero backlash through out their life. Chinese ball screws I had tested had about .002" and eventually increased to .003" backlash as they got contaminated with dust, which may be fine for many applications but not in mine. The Chinese ballscrews on ebay have gotten so cheap and widely available now that I honestly wouldn't be that worried if I were just building a hobby machine for personal use.

Re: Acme 1/2 VS Chinese Ballscrew

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the X (1000mm) and Y (600mm) axis lead screws on my hobby CNC.

Currently have a T8 lead screw. I put some preload on the nuts but still have some backlash. The T8 was ok at the beginning but I found a little bit small and fear that it'll wear fast.

I have looked two options 1/2 Acme 2TPI + anti backlash nut (CNCRP) or SFU1610 chinese ballscrew.

With shipping to Canada, both are around the same price

Normally the acme would be cheaper but with the anti backlash nut, bearing holder, shipping, customs, etc, the price goes up fast.

I know that the ballscrew would be better but I've heard some horror story with chinese vendor...

How the acme would compare to a chinese ballscrew? Any chinese vendor you guys know that are good?

Thanks
    What "horror stories" have you heard about and which Chinese vendor are you talking about? China has a pretty big population and there are many vendors. If you want zero backlash make your own custom made nut, that's what I did, it is pretty simple. Since then, I upgraded to 1605 ball screws and nuts and and I am better off now than before.

During the years I have used eBay I have never really met any real bad vendor. Some sell poor quality products, and in most cases that is reflected on the price as well. The few times I was really unhappy with something, or did not receive my items I always received some reasonable compensation or full refund. But sure, many times you get what you pay for.

No, I would not recommend any vendor, mainly because if something goes wrong I don't want to be blamed. I normally check out the vendors I am buying from, if they have a less than 98.5% score than I only buy from them if the item is unique. Between 98.5% and 99.3% scores I am careful, checking for all the reds and see what people are complaining about, which items and what type of complaint. Some complainers are real jerks, you can see that in their comments, so just because a seller has some reds it does not make them into bad sellers. Sellers with scores over 99.3% I normally don't check that close and trust 100%. Most sellers are just sellers, they don't normally handle the items, just give an order to a factory to deliver. My guess is that they are not even located anywhere near those factories.