586,114 active members*
3,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Unclamping/reclamping tool in mid-auto manual resets spindle speed

Unclamping/reclamping tool in mid-auto manual resets spindle speed

The machine is an MX-45 Okuma mill.
    After pausing an executing program in the middle of auto mode for the purpose of changing worn inserts and after unclamping and re-clamping the tool, I get an error message saying "no S command" when trying to restart the spindle. Why is this happening?
    Thanks!

Re: Unclamping/reclamping tool in mid-auto manual resets spindle speed

i think best answer is : because

ps : try going on with machine's defaults, and not by fighting it. Machine does not know that same tool is clamped again, so it resets as a safety reason

if there is a tool magazine, use it, otherwise, manual clamp may lead to pulstud light damage

There is no worry if pulstud gets some deformation, but this leads to wear inside clamping mechanism of the spindle. Thus, in time all pulstuds will be clamped a bit wrong, so contact surface decreases.

It hapens in time, bit by bit. Depends how steady your/operator hand is, during clamping.

I can sugest methods for manual clamp with good alingment, but better use the ATC ... kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Yeah, deadlykitten, this obviously is another nuisance they call "a safety device" Our second, a more modern mill does not have this feature, so it must be more unsafe to use We are currently milling a lot of duplex steel and changing inserts has become a very common phenomenon, so if somebody knows how to switch this PIA feature off...

Our second, a more modern mill does not have this feature
    hy, also my mill can restore rpm after manual clamping ; i checked this morning, right before this answer

so it must be more unsafe to use
    keep nice & positive thinking

Yeah, deadlykitten, this obviously is another nuisance they call "a safety device"
    actually, it was you who solved this issue ; after 75 years and 3.907 months from now, you will be travelling into past, somewhere between 1997 and 2003, implementing this into Okuma machines ... also your time travel machine will broke, and you will discover something interesting, so you will like being in the past ...

We are currently milling a lot of duplex steel and changing inserts has become a very common phenomenon
    instead of inserts, use a lightsaber :
    ... red for plastics ; it has a right low temperature
    ... yellow for steel <25 HRC
    ... orange for steel < 40HRC
    ... orange with leaf for steel < 46HRC
    ... etc

avoid buying from untrasted source, even if price is low, because sabers may explode

lightsaber advantages :
    ... does not require RPM, so use M130 ; to protect the spindle, i would recomand a low rpm, just to keep things moving
    ... does not create chips; however, all metal is vaporised and so, you need a filter, otherwise you will be dead instantaly because of vapors ; actors from star-wars are just acting ; in real life they don't breath when cutting through hard ship alloys, and they use special medicine to heal / however, once you use them, they are slightly going to kill you, like cigarates, but is not available for eberybody

lightsaber disadvantages :
    ... do not use the cross type, because it will cut your machine, and some near neighbourhoods ; safety mechanism does not turn off the side lights, so if it will fly away from the machine : means trouble
    ... they are not good for helix, because they must always cut at full diameter ; for helix, you need a special "finish - saber"

You have a peculiar sense of humor. But no, we cannot afford a wire EDM yet.

wire is slow ... even so, do you have parts for such a machine/instalation ?

this emoticon should be redesigned, because it looks like an ill guy, with some contagious disease ...

fill or features should be ( a ) more brighter ( color ), because it's futures looks thicker ; it has no contrast

for example : just keep same background as and remove eyebrows, because it makes it look older ...