586,108 active members*
3,066 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Your opinion of Vista ? ( New Microsoft OS )

View Poll Results: Your opinion of Vista.

Voters
403. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic, best upgrade ever.

18 4.47%
  • Good, but only a minor difference.

20 4.96%
  • I am undecided

28 6.95%
  • I'll stay with my current OS for the moment.

129 32.01%
  • I will never use Vista unless I am forced to.

127 31.51%
  • Typical Microsoft Crapware.

81 20.10%
Page 6 of 9 45678
    I don't know if it has been mention as I did not read thru every response, but with Vista...it does NOT support ANY Hewlett-Packard equipment that has a couple of years on it. So if you have an older HP printer, Flatbed scanner that is more than a couple of years old and you are planning on running Vista, or purchase a new computer that throws Vista down your throat. Plan on buying new periphials.

This situation has improved for a lot of HP products. Run a search on Google for your model of printer and "Vista driver". You may come up with something. HP released a unified driver that supports almost all of their legacy LaserJet products. If your printer is listed as one of the 70 or so models, you're all set.

Whomever said that the TCO for Mac computers is atrocious hasn't looked at them lately. The various Apple models are about the same prices as a comparably outfitted Dell, and in some cases, a lot cheaper. The retail price of the OS is $129 for the equivalent of an "Ultimate Edition" as it comes with everything.

Most of my day-to-day computer requirements are met by a Mac Mini. It shares a KVM with a dual-boot XP/Vista system that I use for software development. The windows machine is off more than it's on these days.

I have a copy of VM-Ware Fusion on the Mini which works great! Some of the Windows application I use, such as the eBay Turbo Lister work fine in that environment, so I don't need to fire up the "real" Windows computer all that often.

VISTA SUX
    I had a WIN98 machine loaded with A-CAD EZCAM and a couple of other programs I use for work. In March of this year, my trusty old WIN98 machine suddenly went dark on me..(not really suddenly, it had been acting funny for a while) Only machines available seem to be bundled with VISTA. I got most of my basic programs back (hint: save those CD's) but I had been using Open Office instead of MSOffice. I have tried all sorts of tricks to try to get OpenOffice to download and keep getting error messages like "This is not a valid Windows file" Windows does not recognize..." etc.It seems if you don't buy it from Uncle Billy, he won't let you use it.
    BAH HUMBUG

OpenOffice works fine on Vista. If you are receiving errors, then you either don't have the appropriate privileges to install it, or something is wrong with the Vista installation on your computer. Please understand that I have absolutely no love of Vista either, but ignorant comments do not help the situation.

Unhappy

Hi Paul.. Your assessment of me as "Ignorant" probably pretty accurate.
    I am getting very frustrated trying to do a simple download of a file (Albeit a big one something like 119 hoursm according to little countdown thing) I called H-P about privileges, and proper Vista install. The lady reset me back to "New Machine" status (uninstall/reinstall) in case there was something wrong with the initial install. When she asked what I was trying to download, I mentioned OpenOffice and she asked if I was sure that was a safe program to install. She then recommended that I go to the Microsoft.com store site and see if I could find something that would suit me there. I also have an email in to the OpenOffice.org site to see if someone there can steer me toward a tutorial or something. I figure if my 12 Year old grandson can download all kinds of games, I should be able to download one or two files.
    So far, I'm getting the impression from H-P/MS tech people that Vista doesn't like non-MS downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by WA Toolman View Post
    Hi Paul.. Your assessment of me as "Ignorant" probably pretty accurate.
    I am getting very frustrated trying to do a simple download of a file (Albeit a big one something like 119 hoursm according to little countdown thing) I called H-P about privileges, and proper Vista install. The lady reset me back to "New Machine" status (uninstall/reinstall) in case there was something wrong with the initial install. When she asked what I was trying to download, I mentioned OpenOffice and she asked if I was sure that was a safe program to install. She then recommended that I go to the Microsoft.com store site and see if I could find something that would suit me there. I also have an email in to the OpenOffice.org site to see if someone there can steer me toward a tutorial or something. I figure if my 12 Year old grandson can download all kinds of games, I should be able to download one or two files.
    So far, I'm getting the impression from H-P/MS tech people that Vista doesn't like non-MS downloads.
    You're doing something wrong. It works fine on my Vista laptop. So does all the other GNU/Open Source software I have.

Where'd you d/l OOo from?

Try this from http://Openoffice.org instead.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have my Autocad on W98 and bought a HP - Vista w/HP printer etc. 9/26/07. Hope it works for internet etc. This XP I,m on right now is so slow I can shave during the downloads. If the Vista machine doesn't cause problems I will put Autocad 2008 on it and I won't have to pitch any bricks. lol
    DZASTR

Well all I have to say is this: Evolve or die.

Quote Originally Posted by jhudler View Post
    Well all I have to say is this:
    Hardly. There's plenty of people out there making good money on old technology. Always will be.

Evolve or struggle?

More likely.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I upgraded to Vista, used it for a few weeks only to downgrade it to WinXP cos a few of my licensed design softwares couldn't work with Vista. What a shame. I have to admit, beside being resource hungry and it is, it is a fun OS to have. But then I switched ot Longhorn and I am happy to stick with XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    Evolve or struggle?
    Vista is an evolution.

Having started developing in Unix in the early 80's, then to Windows at version 1.0 (with a foolish and thankfully brief foray into OS/2), I for one cannot imagine going back to such a primitive architecture (you'll rarely find me using the command line).

As a professional Windows programmer I sometime make brief journeys back to the *nix world. It's nice when everything you knew 20 years ago is still applicable. If that's evolution...

Perhaps that's *nix appeal is that it is not complicated, yet *nix struggles to trying to keep up with Windows (take WINE for instance).
    Maybe that's why all the CNC solutions I've seen for the hobbyist community are use the LPT port... ghastly solution if I ever saw!

I'm not trying to flame bait... this is my honest personal opinion of why I like the evolution of Windows Vista.
    I'd even go so far to say this is why Mac sales doubled last year. They took a Linux variant, made it proprietary, and evolved it.

Actually OS X is FreeBSD with an "evolved" GUI. The XServer is still available (as a separate install) if you really want it. I tend to stay far, far away from any software that only works under XWindow (GTK, Qt, etc.)

LOL... I've been called on in the past to convert stuff from XWindows to Windows; just because I've had experience with X... perhaps I should take that off my resume!
    One person wanted it to run under WINE; so I ended up dumbing it down to work around all the "not implemented yet" functions.

(take WINE for instance).
    Ecchh, no thanks. WINE never seems to fix one thing without breaking something else, Not surprisingly, software written for windows runs best in windows. These days with free virtual machines and cheap hardware powerful enough to run them, isn't WINE losing relevance?

As far as operating systems go I take the attitude of 'whatever floats your boat'. At least from an end user perspective.

In the dreaming in technicolor department, maybe someday web based applications will make the OS less relevant?
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

i am using vista on a 1000$ SONY VAIO with 2gb of ram and i must say for the records that i dislike the fact that microsoft works the way it works...Vista though have many new user friendly features that were not on XP(that was the best upgrade ever) and the laptop seems to be holding on really well...Fast processing speeds, much easier troubleshooting, network oriented, (slightly) better appearance and the most useful change i think are the better folder options. Now, every time i am browsing my documents i can easily, with a single click open any window in my computer because of the active address bar (the little white bar on top of each folder)..That was awful on XP where i had to move either back or up...The new OS seems to be copying Apple's Leopard but couldnt even get close. I 'd prefer a Linux system if i knew how to operate one on a (locked & without drivers) laptop like the ones sony makes...As i would also like to see a list of Vista disadvantages by someone who has worked both Vista & XP and has made the comparison...Not of what is said or heard... but of what is, plz!! Thanx

Question Is that good?

If you get the flexiblity to control what your computer does, and not the other way, then that's terrific.
    Why does Vista need SO MUCH RAM?
    Even XP shudders below half a GIG.
    What's happening while we are not watching?
    What's happening when we are. Oh, I see. The cursor is blinking.
    I'm open to reason, but what is becoming bloated?
    :withstupi:drowning:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

this is my honest personal opinion of why I like the evolution of Windows Vista.
    Yep. That's why for the first time, MS has made downgrades available.

I'd even go so far to say this is why Mac sales doubled last year. They took a Linux variant, made it proprietary, and evolved it.
    I'd say it had more to do with people getting tired of Windows bloat-ware, but that's just an opinion. I mean, look at the poll results... (nuts)
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I just received a new computer for Christmas preinstalled with Vista on it. I have just spent about 3 hours tring to get it set up and making restore discs and it has already locked up twice and I had to do a hard reboot to get it useable again. Now I just got the blue screen of death and had to do another hard reboot. All of this and I haven't even installed any programs or changed anything on the computer yet. I am not very happy with Vista right now and am thinking about going back to XP.
    Robbie

Sounds like a problem with the computer, not the OS.

Sounds like a problem with the computer, not the OS.
    Maybe, I guess I will find out for sure after I get XP on it.
    Robbie

Page 6 of 9 45678