587,065 active members*
3,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Recommendations on deciding a CNC machine

Post Recommendations on deciding a CNC machine

Hi all,

First of all let me tell that the subject woodworking is alien to me. I've got an opportunity through a friend to manufacture wooden handle for a type of umbrella. Handle sizes are
    1) 35 mm in diameter and 570 mm in length.
    2) 35 mm diameter ( top part will be 10-15 mm) and 220 mm in length.
    The quantity required per month is between 7000-10000 pieces.

Since the subject is new and the qty is so high I started looking into CNC lathe machines. I looked into Chinese machines and found CosenCNC (www.chinawoodlathe.com) to be a company which was able to convince me. But last week coincidentally I got to know about the Legacy and CAMaster machines.

My primary purpose is turning big qty. Machining and carving going to be my near future objectives. My budget is new or used $5000-7500. Machines I looked into but not limited to are Artisan and Stinger 1.

Now what I want to know is has anyone used Chinese lathe machines (specifically CosenCNC) ? If yes what is the brand and how would you rate it?

Secondly are the American machines I mentioned above capable of turning big qty(10000) ? The Chinese I was told will turn around 400 handles in 8 Hr shift. What kind of output one can expect (based on my size requirement) from it?

will I be able to make holes in that handle with these machines ? 14 mm drill bit 140 mm length hole.

Any reliable place to buy used ones ?

Since the general rule is buy your second machine first, I thought if my first purpose is served with the American machines then I need not to invest again on a machine for my secondary purpose.

Cheers,

Shafeen

Cool Re: Recommendations on deciding a CNC machine

Quote Originally Posted by shafeen View Post
    Hi all,

First of all let me tell that the subject woodworking is alien to me. I've got an opportunity through a friend to manufacture wooden handle for a type of umbrella. Handle sizes are
    1) 35 mm in diameter and 570 mm in length.
    2) 35 mm diameter ( top part will be 10-15 mm) and 220 mm in length.
    The quantity required per month is between 7000-10000 pieces.

Since the subject is new and the qty is so high I started looking into CNC lathe machines. I looked into Chinese machines and found CosenCNC (www.chinawoodlathe.com) to be a company which was able to convince me. But last week coincidentally I got to know about the Legacy and CAMaster machines.

My primary purpose is turning big qty. Machining and carving going to be my near future objectives. My budget is new or used $5000-7500. Machines I looked into but not limited to are Artisan and Stinger 1.

Now what I want to know is has anyone used Chinese lathe machines (specifically CosenCNC) ? If yes what is the brand and how would you rate it?

Secondly are the American machines I mentioned above capable of turning big qty(10000) ? The Chinese I was told will turn around 400 handles in 8 Hr shift. What kind of output one can expect (based on my size requirement) from it?

will I be able to make holes in that handle with these machines ? 14 mm drill bit 140 mm length hole.

Any reliable place to buy used ones ?

Since the general rule is buy your second machine first, I thought if my first purpose is served with the American machines then I need not to invest again on a machine for my secondary purpose.

Cheers,

Shafeen
    Seems to me you need a more commercial machine for large quantities, those are big numbers!. If you work 20 days a month that is 350 per day! My knowledge of big production machines is very limited, however, for turning, a small machine that may get you started and is good quality Is the Legacy line in Utah USA Legacy Ornamental Mill I've been to their factory and they make high quality machines of many sizes. They even gave me several days training on their machines. Maybe you would need several machines turning multiple pieces. Legacy may be able to custom build a machine that turns out a multiple number of units simultaneously. Talk to the owner Andy Anderson, They have lots of experience with turning and the machines. I think they could supply that second machine first!

Randy O'Laughlin, O'Laughlin CNC