586,076 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New Toy - Tormach Smart Cool System

New Toy - Tormach Smart Cool System

Got a new toy (the Tormach Smart Cool System) and am really excited about it. In the past I was always nervous about running multiple tools unattended due to the coolant not being directed to the right location as different length tools were changed by the ATC. I was constantly manually changing nozzle locations or trying to place each of my 3 nozzles at the right locations to cover the range of tools.

I will be completing the simple installation today and hope to have it operational.

Re: New Toy - Tormach Smart Cool System

Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got the Smart Cool installed today. It was a snap and took less than an hour. Tested it and it seems to work well. Now to try it out on an actual job!

I have been using it since the open house. It really works well. I am ready for the Mutli Cool to come out so you can do a air burst with it..

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    I am ready for the Mutli Cool to come out so you can do a air burst with it..
    I was wondering what the Multi Cool and what it offered. I saw the video about the air blast and thought it was already built in but hadn't tried to use it yet.

What other features does Multi Cool offer?

From what I saw, It will allow a mix of flood and air blast. I think if you can use the fog buster and mount some other air solenoid to do a air blast. You can program the air blast at given timed intervals.

I ordered mine today

I am lucky to be in Austin right down the road from Z-bot LLC where this and the tool changer are made. These guys are incredibly knowledgeable about their CNC machines. Whats cool about it os that I can mess with the stuff and see just how everything works before I buy anything, no surprises. I am probably getting this right after the tool changer.

That is cool. I have the tool changer. I switched to Path Pilot just to get this.

Will the SMART COOL work with the MACH operating system?

I haven't made the switch yet. My thinking is "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT" and so far, my MACH III is working just fine.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

It is Pathpilot only. I started on Mach3 but then the machine I was using was switched to Pathpilot and the thing just ran better right away. It was, truly, plug and play. All the z axis hiccups I dealt with were gone, the finishes are smoother and the machine sounded like it just had a major tuneup right away.

Just the damn Z axis issues that Mach 3 was causing disappearing is worth every bit of the upgrade.

"If it aint broke dont fix it" is all fine and dandy but dont let that get in the way of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    From what I saw, It will allow a mix of flood and air blast. I think if you can use the fog buster and mount some other air solenoid to do a air blast. You can program the air blast at given timed intervals.
    Great idea. "fog buster and mount some other air solenoid to do a air blast"
    Simple solenoid controlled blast of air at the end of some of my ops would be very handy. Thread mill and tapping is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    It is Pathpilot only. I started on Mach3 but then the machine I was using was switched to Pathpilot and the thing just ran better right away. It was, truly, plug and play. All the z axis hiccups I dealt with were gone, the finishes are smoother and the machine sounded like it just had a major tuneup right away.

Just the damn Z axis issues that Mach 3 was causing disappearing is worth every bit of the upgrade.

"If it aint broke dont fix it" is all fine and dandy but dont let that get in the way of progress.
    I have to agree. I planned to stay with Mach too, but decided to switch when everyone started praising PathPilot. I only had occasional Z issues in Mach which PP fixed, but soft limits is one of my favorites now. Owning a 770 means a small table and small envelope...I regularly push my envelope limits because of this, and not having to deal with Mach made the upgrade more than worth it.

I really want to try the Smart Cool in the future, and since Mach doesn't support it, PathPilot becomes even more attractive.

Ok, I installed the smart cool and the solinoid for air blast. 1 tip that had me pulling my hair out. when tightening the clamps for the nozzles do not over tighten, it will bind up and stop working. does not take much pressure at all. Other than that, I wish I had purchased this the day the came out. I got more done in one day than ever before because of this upgrade. Didnt speed up machining at all, but I was able to take care of many other projects while the machine was running. Love it, love it, love it!!! It doesnt track just perfectly from long to short tools, Knowing this, I just added a P.5 to the code and it works perfectly. awesome!!