586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TL1 dead battery

Good morning gents,
    Appears my battery has gone dead on one of my TL1's, my son who runs the machines says he never noticed the warnings upon bootup (chair), I ordered the remote battery kit from Haas and spoke to a customer service engineer who told me an HFO tech must come to my shop to "reload all the machine software" I have the USB that came with the machine and a fairly complete backup of my programs, I watched this very well done video by Jon Olson, dont see any reloading of software just dealing with the alarms as they come up he's working on a TM not a TL, anyone deal with this without having to bring in a tech?
    Best
    Gary

Re: TL1 dead battery

It depends whether or not the machine's operating system NEEDS to be reloaded. I've seen machines where the battery went dead (or so the machine says) and everything was fine after replacement. But alternately if you boot the CNC and get a flood of warnings and hardware errors then it usually means the software was corrupted and would then need to be reloaded by the factory tech.

You'll know it when you see it...it's pretty obvious!

Ydna, thanks for your response, yeah that photo is exactly what my screen looked like when I shut the machine down, I'll install the dual battery kit when it gets here and boot up the machine and see what I get, still dont understand how such a catastrophic event would not warrant an alarm that shut the machine down and require clearing so it would be impossible to overlook, we never got a 124 alarm prior to this event

That's definitely a rough deal. I had a lathe battery die after around 9 months, which happened with no warning just like you're describing. But we got lucky because the CNC was under warranty at the time. It's been fine for the last 5 years after that.
    It makes me think there was some odd problem that caused the battery to drain all of a sudden, but there's no way to know...

Hello,

I visit some days ago our client workshop and when I turn machine on I get same screen, which I can see in the previous reply. I ordered backup battery replacement kit and I installed it already.
    Now there is a new backup batteries and next I need to restore backup files from a USB-stick. I looked at this Haas diy-manuals, but the way to restore is little a bit different than my client machine was,I think. Have any ideas how this backup should restoring?

https://diy.haascnc.com/restoring-backup

I see in USB stick many files and I am not sure, should I restore all the files, or should there be some backup file separately?
    Attachment 334972Attachment 334974Attachment 334968Attachment 334970

Thanks!

UPDATE:
    So I installed the new dual battery system from Haas, upon power up I got the scrambled screen with the 15 second countdown to shutdown, followed the method in the video but it didn't work, I entered debug mode which stopped the countdown, entered my serial number in par 26, turned on my rigid tapping and intuitive programming with the codes contained in the original paperwork that came with the machine, re set tool changer setting 113 to "auto", left debug mode, uploaded everything off the USB stick that came with the machine, re set the real time clock, uploaded my backed up programs, and it seems to run fine, only issue is the real time clock is losing it's setting when I power off so I'm getting a 475 alarm (no RTC found) on power up, I am able to clear the alarm and run the machine normally, I spoke to CS tech at Haas who had no clue, just told me it wont affect operation of the machine but is an indication that something's not right (rather obvious) I'd like to figure it out, has anyone here have any ideas?

We had a Minimill with similar RTC problem, but it runs fine just like you mention. We were never sure what caused it or [more importantly] what it actually affects in the real world. I was thinking perhaps it would be an issue if the CNC were running the bill-time clock(?)
    Haas said it could indicate a processor board problem but there was no way to know without swapping the entire board, which is a couple thousand dollars. So yeah, carry on...lol