Got everything together and running today and air cut a 4" circle. Still losing steps here and there. Ordered three 425oz motors from stepperonline off ebay. Not a bad price for the 3 at $120 shipping included. I'll keep the 282's for a 3D printer. They should be more than enough for that.

I think the combination of running the gear reduction, tight ways and lead screw bushing and not having true bearings on the belt tension adjustment yet doesn't leave much to just drive the cut. If I run around 15 ipm it all works pretty good but I want to be able to run around 25 to 30 ipm reliably. So another confirmation that you should get the larger motors from the jump.

Now it could still be the drivers aren't performing (they seem to be fine) so I will be getting some Gecko 203V drivers to compare. I will need the Geckos for a router build anyway and it's been fun to try out the cheaper boards and drivers to see where this stuff has got to over the last year. I would have never thought the electronics would ever get to this level with the flood of china made components.

Once the new motors are on and performing as expected then I can cut all of the components of this build so I can incorporate design items I couldn't create on a drill press. CNC makes things like flange bearing pockets so much easier. And the custom gears for the gear reduction.

All of the electronics is in an ATX case with the motherboard. Need to tidy up the wiring but still waiting on the 12v and 5v modules to replace the wall warts.