New to the forum. While looking for a manual bridgeport I came across a cnc which I feel is a decent deal on a machine. Around $1000 for a Bridgeport series 1 cnc a half hour from home. I have been reading everything I can find for the last two weeks on forums and can't seem to find the info I need to decide on this purchase. I just want a 3 axis cnc mill in my shop. Not worried about tool changers, tapping, 4th axis ect. This is for my personal hobby-offroading, drag racing- shop with intentions of some small amount production fab work eventually. Affordable and not too too much of a project is my main concerns. I am leaning toward mach3 since it seems to be the most popular with lots of support forums if I have issues. I don't want to just go buy a retrofit kit if I can DIY this and save tons of money plus learn more along the way.

The machine has motors on x, y, and z axis'. It has a tape reader on the side of it and a control panel that looks like some sort of one line at a time g code. Machine appears to be in good shape and is still hooked up. Number on the knee is j199396c. Number on the spindle motor 2j-69631c. Variable speed spindle with high and low. Not sure what style tool holder it is. Ways look to be in good condition.

What I am having trouble finding:

How to tell which BOSS system it is? If one would be better/worse?

What specifically do I need parts wise to convert this to Mach3 controller?

If I were to keep the axis motors that it has how or would I be limited in any ways? Could I keep use those for now and upgrade later?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!