586,105 active members*
3,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

crash during smoothing

I expeience a total program crash when the region smoothing number is over 3. the program exits and does not save work. my work around is to save frequently. does anyone have any work around or suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by henryj1951 View Post
    I expeience a total program crash when the region smoothing number is over 3. the program exits and does not save work. my work around is to save frequently. does anyone have any work around or suggestion?
    Strange, I have never heard of that problem before and I've never encountered it in my daily use of VS3D.

What version of VS3D are you running ? (you can find out from the "Help / About VS3D..." menu).

Can you email me a small ".vs3" file that causes the problem when you smooth it ? If you can send it as an attachment to [email protected] I will look into the issue immediately.
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

memory?

I would send the file but when it is reloaded it will smooth to a higher level. can it be a memory issue? it happens after a series of manipulations. my computer is windows XP with 760 mb of ram with VS3D 1.6. is there any plan for any new tutorials? where in the help would I find an answer?

I would send the file but when it is reloaded it will smooth to a higher level. can it be a memory issue? it happens after a series of manipulations. my computer is windows XP with 760 mb of ram with VS3D 1.6. is there any plan for any new tutorials? where in the help would I find an answer?
    It could be a computer hardware issue. Those are difficult to pinpoint. No one else has ever reported a similar problem. In fact, you currently have the ONLY reported "Crash" of any kind with VS3D. If you can, load one of the relief files that crashed while you were working on it. Then from the "Help" menu, choose "Surface Statistics". Email me that information, or post it here.

where in the help would I find an answer?
    What is the question ? If you mean answers about hardware issues, there isn't a section in the manual for that because VS3D works on every version of Windows afer 98, and VS3D can function with a very small amount of memory (I used to run it with just 64mb of memory). In other words, there aren't any hardware issues to document in the Help files.

There will be some new tutorials when version 2.0 comes out later this year.

PS: You can upgrade to the current version 1.65 . I don't know of anything in the new version that would change the behavior you are seeing. But it might be worth a try.
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

crash fix resolved

version 1.65 is like a different program. not only has it not crashed but photo manipulations work better taking time out of programming. I can make better 3d models. I am hoping multiple machining passes will be available in the next version. thanks for the upgrade.

version 1.65 is like a different program. not only has it not crashed but photo manipulations work better taking time out of programming. I can make better 3d models. I am hoping multiple machining passes will be available in the next version. thanks for the upgrade.
    I'm glad it is working better for you.
    The current version (1.65) does have multiple machining pass capability. For example, if your machine runs off G-Code and has an automatic tool changer, you can do this in VS3D:

1. Run a roughing tool path and see a real preview of the surface after this pass.

2. Run a finishing pass, and append the G-Code to the same file as the roughing pass (with the appropriate automatic tool-change commands inserted). VS3D "remembers" what material was removed by the roughing pass and uses that information when calculating the finishing pass.
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC