586,067 active members*
5,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need some help getting started

Hey all, Not much of a poster but i use the search bar quite a bit

Im having some issues/confusion with my crp4896 machine and any points to the right direction would be great!

1.Ok so I've got the sensors on the x and y axis down and they home fine but the sensor mounted above the z axis seems to get ignored?

2. How do i get the machine to home at the corner of my spoilboard

3. When i try and run an example mach 3 file the z shoots up and bangs the limit switch,

I really want to surface the spoil board today but i can't for the life of me work out how to get the machine in the right spot and then actually have the machine cut instead of shooting the the top and not even having the spindle start!

Thanks for your help in advance!:drowning:

Re: Need some help getting started

1) What do you mean the "sensor gets ignored"? Does it crash, or move the wrong direction?
    2) The machine homes towards the sensors.
    Or do you mean setting 0,0 to the corner? If so, just jog to the corner, and zero the X and Y axis.
    3) Need to see your code.
    Have you set Z zero at the top of your workpiece?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Heya,

the z just doesnt move at all when homing. it homes to the x and y sensors though to the machines limits

Is the Z axis home switch enabled? If so, does the LED show it being homed after pressing the button?

it homes to the x and y sensors though to the machines limits
    The wrong direction? If so, toggle the Home Beg setting in Config > Homing/Limits.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger is (per usual) giving you sound advice -- by default the z sensor is not enabled in your Mach profile, so you will want to go into config->ports and pins, input signals tab, and enable the Z Home sensor.

In terms of setting up your coordinate system, please follow our proximity limit switch instructions here:

Proximity Limit Switch Instructions | CNCRouterParts

These instructions go through making sure your axes are moving the right direction. If you need additional assistance, give us a call on Monday and we're happy to help you out.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Heya Ahren, Thanks.

Motors are here (obviously) The only other issue i have is that when i try to run any g code the z just shoots straight up and after resetting mach 3 toe auto tool zero shoots straight down without stopping on the touch plate.

Its all been installed alright becasue it worked a few times but i cant get over the last hurdle of dry running a damn shape because every time i press cycle start the z just goes right up and then stops

Thank you @ger21 though il have a read up now!

Ok so quick update,

Z axis sensor works now however still when i try to run any code at all (even the mach 3 demo codes) it shoots to the top then the sensor disables the machine instead of going down and starting the spindle!

Is your z moving the right direction? "Page up" should move z up, "page down" should move it down. If not, you need to reverse the direction of your z axis, and also reverse the homing direction. You can do both of these things under config->homing and limits. "Reverse" changes the direction of an axis, while "Home Neg" changes the direction the axis homes.

You also need to set the z height of your work piece before running your code. This can be as basic as driving your tool down until it is touching the workpiece and then zeroing the bit. If you are not using the auto z touch plate, the machine has no idea where it's supposed to be cutting in z until you zero it.

If you are still having trouble, it could be your post processor. Which CAM program are you using? If you are using Vectric CAM, you can use the "Mach 2/3 with arcs" post. If you are using Fusion 360, you need to use the "cncrouterparts" post processor.

I'd also recommend using the "Single-blk" setting in Mach to single step through your G-code, then you can figure out what's going on. When you get to the line of G-Code that starts the z moving up, you can at least identify the command that is causing the z to rise.

For troubleshooting your auto tool zero, it should be plugged into "Aux1" on your controller. You should follow our instructions for testing / setting this up here:

Auto Z Touch Plate Instructions | CNCRouterParts

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Heya i was using the z touch plate and it worked for a couple of runs then when i try again pressing the button it just does down quickly. Il re-check all the ports/pins tommorow and may just delete everything and restart from scratch on the software side of things.

If i have any touble tommorow i will drop you an email with some pictures/videos of whats wrong. thanks for the help so far though

Quote Originally Posted by PLSUK View Post
    Heya i was using the z touch plate and it worked for a couple of runs then when i try again pressing the button it just does down quickly. Il re-check all the ports/pins tommorow and may just delete everything and restart from scratch on the software side of things.

If i have any touble tommorow i will drop you an email with some pictures/videos of whats wrong. thanks for the help so far though
    1) In Mach3, set the "safe Z" value to something like -.25. Otherwise it will always try to move to Z zero which will be right at your limit switch. Don't ask I know this.
    Note that it should toggled to be in machine co-ords too.

2) Make sure your G-code generator is not putting in a G28 between (and before the first) op. In my case, F360 was generating this as "G28 Z0", which also moves the Z right up to that switch and trips it. That G28 never works for me in between ops for some reason, only after the last one. Which is weird. So it was just doing Z0 every time.

If you ARE using G28, then on the homing limits screen, set your G28 value for Z to -.025 as well.

Heya all,

Thanks for everybody's input! I played around with the settings so much i just decided to start from scratch and it all works fine now! See attached picture of my routed ply with acrylic inlays

You guys are awesome!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5222.jpg  

Nice. How'd you get it cut upside down like that? :stickpoke

Celing mounted. More floor space that way and when I'm cutting its like christmas!