586,058 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Locator Pins/Dowels Sources?

I would like to find some affordable pins to use for location and such. When I made my dust shoe brush plate, for example, I cut both sides (brush slot on one side and magnet holes on the other). I used 1/4 router bits as locator pins. They worked ok, but they are just small enough that they moved a bit.

Thought about drill rod, dowel pins, etc. Just thought I'd ask if anybody had a better idea?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Locator Pins/Dowels Sources?

Dowel pins aren't too expensive; you can get 50 of them for about $16: https://www.fastenal.com/products/fa...%20Pins%22%7C~

Taper pins might be better for what you're doing, though - they won't rattle around as much, but they cost more: https://www.fastenal.com/products/ta...er%20Pins%22|~
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Ok, dont judge me, lol... I'm super cheap, save everything and needed some pins in a hurry so I used the steel shafting from an old inkjet printer..

Ha! I actually have one of those bars! It does appear to be very nicely ground and polished. I'll measure it to see how consistent it is. Was it hard to cut?

Thanks. They have some nice 1/4" pins that would work. Nice tight tolerance too - 0.2501 - 0.2503. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Goonk View Post
    Was it hard to cut?
    Nahh, I think I wrapped it in cardboard, locked it in my vise and used a hacksaw (cut close to the vise so it doesn't bend).

I use some fiberglass rod that I picked up from TapPlastics. 5 feet was like $10, and I cut and use what I need. They are very precisely 1/4inch diameter, and will even get stuck in a 1/4inch hole.

Hello, For 2-sided wood and plastic projects, I use wooden dowel rod that I buy at the hardware store, in 3 foot lengths for a couple bucks. 1/4" or 3/8" are nominal sizes, so I just measure them to find out what they really are, and cut the holes for a snug fit. I tend to cut real close to by stock edges, and with these I don't worry about hitting them.