586,106 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Fusion 360 software and Milltronics

Fusion 360 software and Milltronics

I thought I would start a new thread on this, as it may effect all the "smaller guys:
    This is a copy of my reply to esmarelda" on another thread.

I talked to a customer today, he is using Fusion 360 on his Mach 3 control. he seems to like it.
    We have not yet done a Milltronics post from it.

It seems to hold some promise for "us" smaller guys.

will it replace a 15K mastercam / surfcam / ???? most likely not, but for "Free" for under $100K users. "whuda got to lose" ?

Try it and keep " US" informed, changes to the POST??? keep "US" informed.

for machines without a tool changer try the Fanuc, M6 or M10 Post., LET "US" know.

Those of you who have tried it, LET US KNOW.

"US" smaller guys need all the help we can get :-0

It is like the cad program, Delta Cad - World's easiest CAD program, CAD software, it does 95% of what "AutoCAD" does for $50 Not as fancy, but "IT WORKS"

let's find out what this Fusion 360 can do.

sportybob

Re: Fusion 360 software and Milltronics

what's the other thread.
    fusion is for the small guys non government or airspace NDA work.

if you need a post change you ask on the HSM cam forum or fusion forum or ask a reseller
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use Fusion 360 and I love it. The thing that I don’t like is that your CAD files are saved on the cloud. I interested in looking this are my favorite youtube channels to learning Fusion 360.
    Hope this helps
    Teepaco
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo2...ziFUZGZ50VKvWA
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0...gdPTTjsxjvyHPg
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiM...bW5mbx0iDcRQ2g
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Q...NODJNfPk2tJrTQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5j...-o9Zq0kZPmHeEw

the top one is the best

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi All, I thought that would be more engagement for this thread.

A little more info perhaps.

Fusion 360 is:
    Did you know that Fusion 360 is FREE for students, instructors, enthusiasts, hobbyists and startups (making less than $100K a year)?

get it here: Cloud Powered 3D CAD/CAM Software for Product Design | Fusion 360

sportybob

I have used Fusion 360 and posted programs to run on several Milltronics controls.

I also have experience with Inventor/Inventor HSM as well as Solidworks/ HSM Works.

The Fusion 360 CAM is very powerful and does basically everything that Inventor HSM and HSM Works does. Each one has some minor differences here and there, nothing major. I am currently far more proficient in Inventor and Solidworks at modelling though. I find Fusion to be a little bit harder to catch onto but I think with time that will change. Also, for the price, you can't go wrong. One thing I struggle with Fusion 360 is that I don't have good internet, so it can be a problem at times. I definitely prefer using Inventor or Solidworks as well as the HSM add on for either over Fusion but mainly because it's what I have the most experience with.

As far as the post is concerned; the general Milltronics post from Auto Desk for all 3 of the CAM versions discussed does work well. It's set up for a side mount tool changer so it calls up your next tool right after a tool change. This is a problem if you tell the program to run from a specific tool (ask me how I know). After editing that out of the post there's no problem. I also changed the post so it doesn't use G28 at the end of the program. Instead I have it use G53 and center the table and bring the table close to the operator i.e. G0G53X-20Y0 at the end.

I have run this post with a Centurion 5, Centurion 6, Centurion 7, and an 8200 control.

FYI, Between November 25th and 28th, you can get Fusion 360 for $120.00 for a 2 years subscription or $100 for one year.

I've had it for about 2 years now and only tried to use it a couple of times. Just don't have the time it takes to learn it. We have KeyCreator and Surfcam that does everything we need. Only purchased it because it was cheap at the time and thought it could be a nice backup. Not sure yet if I'll renew. Compared to Surfcams $1600 a year "maintenance", Fusion 360 is a real bargain if you can become proficient with it. With Surfcam you can skip the yearly maintenance and still use it, Fusion 360 can't be used if you annual renew expires. Something to consider.

So far I really like fusion with my partner 1 mill. I've ran things just fine until today, I wanted to rigid tap but the machine decided to dwell when it got the g84. After some research I've done to realize that milltronics uses g88 for rigid tapping. This is this far the only issue I've had with the milltronics post in fusion. I've downloaded an upgraded CPS file for milltronics posts in fusion but can't seem to easily "install" it. Anyone know how to fix/edit posts? I sure don't.

Joe
    DMMW

drag and drop it into your cloud post file in the data panel it's in the assets folder just open the folder and select upload and drag and drop it into where it says to do it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've been using Fusion 360 for about a year at home, and recently started using it on our Milltronics VM16 at work with no problems except for the rigid tapping described above. We've been using Solidworks with GibbsCAM for about 10 years but I'm slowly weaning us off of Gibbs in favor of the free HSMxpress. Very similar to Fusion and I prefer it now over Gibbs, so goodbye expensive maintenance contract.

Hi all, On the G88, I sent an email off to fusion with the G88 info from the manual.
    here is their replay.

"Hi Robert,

Thanks for contacting Autodesk Technical Support! It looks like you have an edit to the Milltronics post in Fusion 360 to include a G88 rigid tap command.

At Autodesk, we focus on creating and maintaining our library of generic, freely available post processors. Due to the high volume and specificity of post customization requests, we do not provide edits to our existing posts through the support team.

To have your post edited, I would recommend posting on the HSM Post Processor Forum. HSM Post Processor Forum - Autodesk Community There are many great resources over there, including members of our post development team, who may be able to edit your post to include G88. If the Forums do not work, you could contact a local CAM reseller to have the changes made.

Hopefully this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Paul Clauss
    Autodesk Inc."

I included all the drill, tap and bore info.

sportybob

That is there stand response jump on The HSM form or fusion forum and show what you need done where it needs done all info that will ever be needed by someone and it will get done.

Also have you looked at the Haas or fanuc post to see if they have what you need, they are where all post's start from

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]