586,043 active members*
3,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Monitor keeps going in and out - BLACK OUT

Question Monitor keeps going in and out - BLACK OUT

Hey all,

Very annoying and dangerous problem has been happening to me. On my Novakon Torus Pro, the last few months I noticed my screen will go black and turn back on and off again, sometimes a second or more.

My screen always turns black when my E-stop is disengaged or engaged. My screen goes black when I turn my coolant pump on; my coolant pump is on a manual, separate 115 drive hooked up to my shop outlet and operated by a switch.

My screen goes fuzzy and will enter this "Black out" mode when I am running the machine. I am using a VGA Cable for my monitor...

Any ideas?

Regards,

-Jason

Re: Monitor keeps going in and out - BLACK OUT

Start by trying a different monitor, to test whether the fault is in the monitor or the PC.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Did you check the VGA cable inside the control panel? There is a VGA cable inside the control panel which runs from the motherboard to the VGA connector on the computer interface on the outside of the control panel. It is possible there is a loose thumb screw.

Steve

I would check for a loose cable. Also do you have your cables ty-wrapped together? That can also cause problems. I had this problem with my machine also it completely went away when I put in a new VFD. Which VFD do you have?

Tom

Steve - Yes, I checked and double checked.

Upnorth - I am using a longer VGA cable, maybe my signal is getting wonky because of the length. The cable drops from the left side, wraps around the base of the machine and heads to the controller on the back right; the cable is 15 feet long.

I will have to check my control box today for other reasons, so I will report back on the VDF.

Regards,

-Jason

I'm also running an extra long cable. Mine is actually two cables joined together. I think you should be fine with a 15 foot length of cable. Do your best to keep the cable away from others. Since I ty-wrapped them all together last week I do get a tiny amount of noise on the monitor. I wonder if the monitor would be more noise resistant if you installed a DVI cable instead of the old style VGA one that is supplied with the machine?

I had the monitor blacking out issue and to make it even better constant issues with false E-stops. I switched from the Sunfar 500 series VFD if I remember right to the Automation direct GS-2. Those two issues went away and have never returned. I still have a few random E-stops but they are caused by the limit switches or steel chips building up.

I'll take a better look today, maybe the Monitor is just so old, had coolant splashed on it and is going dead.

Though I don't understand how it shuts off when things are engaged, which tells me it's being affected by something. So it's not just randomness per say.

I have the Sunfar C300 VFD. Eveything has been running butter-smooth otherwise, can't really complain.