586,103 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NEW Hypertherm 105 power unit

I've recently had to upgrade my plasma power unit from a 1650 to the new 105 unit.. The electrodes and nozzles seem to be warring differently than my old unit.. I've had a few misfires for one reason or another too. I was hoping that Jim Colt or someone would comment on the parts. Do they look normal or is something wrong. Thanks for the comments. 45 amp fine cut consumables..

Aj

[email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5406.jpg   5408.jpg  

Re: NEW Hypertherm 105 power unit

Kind of a crazy question but do you have your cutter set to 45 amps?

Disregard my last question. I just realized that your second picture is of the electrode. I thought it was the nozzle and it looked like the orifice was badly eroded. You seem to have a lot of discoloration as well. Especially for a brand new set of consumables. We use to have this problem until we installed a refrigerated air dryer.

Another thought. You mentioned that you are having misfires. There is most likely a code 30 that is coming up on your cutter. This code is alerting you to a stuck consumable. I use to have this all the time as well. Especially when I would notice the level of discoloration that you have on the consumables. The discoloration or contamination is causing the nozzle and electrode to intermittently stick together. This is most likely due to moisture in your air source. Again installing a refrigerated air dryer took care of 95% of this problem for us. Even with a number of filters in line we were still getting moisture in our air.

Thanks for the info. I did get that code (30) a couple of times over a few hours of cutting. The old hypertherm 1650 I never had problems with moisture. Things are the same now as they were then, but with the new power unit.. I have two dryers, one built on the machine and another one on the wall... They never have any water in them...

This newer style machine seems to be a little more touchier than the old one that's for sure....

I'll have to take a few more notes on what's going on...

Thanks again.

Aj