586,119 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Starting out building a cnc table for plasma

Starting out building a cnc table for plasma

Hi every one. Just starting out in cnc . What are the first steps to take in building a cnc plasma table.

I know that i need a drawing program, i have AutoCAD, then i need some kind of CAD program. Then Controllers stepper motors and the computer that i am workin gon now.

What programs do you prefer to use are they free or how much to buy. What kind of controllers do i need and what size/power/type stepper motors do i need. I want to make a full size table to cut full sized sheet steel aluminium etc.

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers Apples

I think the best way to get the answers that you want is reading all the posts in the DIY wood routers. These threads are specially useful:
    http://www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171
    http://www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=646
    http://www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1355

Then you will be able to answer your own questions, and with a good adquired general CNC knowledge as a bonus .

Hope it helps

/U

Plasma cutting requires much less precision than carving/milling. You won't need a ridged table for plasma. My suggestion is to design a system with speed in mind. Shoot for 300-400 IPM depending on the capacity of your plasma machine. Accuracy of .005+ should be fine. You may want to build a two axis machine and just drag the torch over the work if you’re not doing a lot of cutting with it. You could save yourself from having to build a Z axis.

However, if you’re doing production work you may want a Torch Height Control (THC). Keep in mind you will need a Z axis to move the torch up/down. Mach2 software can control a THC. Check out www.campbelldesigns.com for a DIY THC.

PS. If your thinking of making a “Do-It-All” CNC machine routing/plasma/milling, you should seriously consider making a two separate machines. I tried to combine wood routing and plasma cutting into one machine and had little success. The similarities of the two processes are few and far between. IMO