586,077 active members*
3,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 20 12311

Building a Cnc Router

Here are the specs that I'm trying to get.

36"x24" table
    5" Z travel
    214 ounce steppers
    Xylotex Stepper Board
    Thomson linear round shaft for all the axis
    10mm ballscrews for the X and Y
    1.75hp Porter Cable Router
    All machined aluminum frame

Here are some pictures of it in Cad.

The big problem that I forsee is shaft deflection. For the longest time I've been trying to figure out what diameter rod to use. Right now I've got it setup with a 1.5 on the X and a 1 on the Y. My gauntry will weigh roughly 60 pounds and will ride on single bearing Thomson pillow blocks.

Right now I'm fairly sure I can get it done for $1100. If you would like to see the price list I can type it up for you.

Ballscrew for X and Y

And now, let the critiques begin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router2.jpg  
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Another Picture

Another Picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router3.jpg  

Ew, I hate criticising, so lets assume your model is un-finnished, ok?! I think you realy need to double up on the linear bearings, four per axis would be a lot more stable, and the increased width of the frame, both in x and y, would help your deflection problem. A cross piece between those gantry sides would also help stiffen it up nicely. Go and dig out Jeffs (HomeCNC) router thread, and take a look at his structure. If you're going to buy ballscrews, it's worth having a decent frame to mount them on, or you will not gain anything over using all-thread.
    Sorry!

I thought about dual pillow blocks per side but the problem is travel room. I would need to add a good 10 inches to the X so I could retain my cutting area. This would mean more shaft delfection? Maybe I'm alittle obessesed with it, but it would be better to get everything right before I buy big items such as linear shafts.

I asked the guys about shaft thickness a few months back in this thread. There is a link in there to a website which has a deflection calculator which may prove useful.

Why not use supported linear shafts? No deflction with that. The extra cost could be reduced by using smaller shaft.

That's a great 3-D model Cold Fusion. Kong is correct about doubling up on the bearings. Round-shaft type linear bearings usually have some compliance to make up for less than perfect mounting. That's good under the right circumstances, but makes them nearly useless in your application. Even THK type bearings aren't great for this setup unless they are the extra-long type. Shaft deflection will be insignificant without a rigid linear bearing setup. You'll probably need longer axes to get the travel, no matter how much it hurts...

Cold Fusion, is you don't have the rails yet, don't discount using THK types rails and ways.

Especially if deflection is a concern, THK rails solve this problem.

Also, you don't need a very big rail, a 1/2" THK is stronger than a 1-1/2" round rail. (For load ratings)

That will keep your costs down. I've seen these on Ebay fairly regularly.

I also agree with the 4 bearing concept as being almost mandatory. Especially on a machine as big as yours. Check the Thomson website for shaft deflection. It's a different calculation for a two bearing load versus a one bearing load.

Good luck.

THK rails are alittle pricey for me. All together my X and Y will end up costing $200-$250. I don't think I could even get a pair of 36 inch thk's for that much.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg  

1.25 shaft, dual pillow blocks, extrusion down the X for bracing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg  

Hey, i am building the same route(in aluminum).

i'm use 4"x24x1/2 for base
    17x4-1/2x3/4 for 2 sides
    bearings link
    acme leadscrew, oil harden rod from enco

planning to spend less than $800

i'll try to post some picture when i get all parts togather

good lurk on your machine

i also though about using thk linear slide, but they cost little bit too much for me. any cheap thk around?

Cold,

Better. But you still have a bullet to bite...

Need to add at least ONE more linear bearing to the y. I'd put it on the bottom shaft(nearest the cutter) to decrease deflection.

Raise the black frame supports ands they will add support for your table.

Definitely need a cross brace between the gantry uprights...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

P.S. I think you may later "wish" your steppers were larger. 3210 will work, but is a bit on the small side if you're planning for any kind of fast traverse speed.

Originally posted by Cold Fusion
    1.25 shaft, dual pillow blocks, extrusion down the X for bracing.

As far as the steppers: I would only be cutting up to 3/8 Lexan or 1/2 wood. Any metals can be done with a friend's cnc router.

Hey Cold fusion,

Now thats a familiar setup! Great work on the CAD drawings. Think your gantry will probably come out lighter than 60lbs. I have -lots- of steel where alu could be used, for instance in the bearing blocks and Z-assembly, and that gives around 60lbs.

About the double bearings: What accuracy are you aiming at? Mine has double bearings in a single block, 16cm (6.25") wide, giving up to 0.5mm (0.02") gantry skewing in both directions when pushed fairly hard. If thats too much for you and you're not willing to give up travel think about dual leadscrews?

Good luck,

John

Cold, another thought. You probably don't need as large a stepper motor on the Z axis. I would think that 100 oz-in would be fine.

This might allow you to offset some costs for the additional linear bearings.
    T

Ok, things just swung 180 degrees. I am now the proud owner of 4 30 inch Thk rails. Here is the auction I won. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42899

Congratulations.
    That settles a lot of questions.
    Now for the best way to utilize them.
    Hager

Page 1 of 20 12311